#128717  by lunasparks

Hey all - I thought some of you might enjoy the timeline I put together in the pdf below. It gives a little tour through a fun project I'm just wrapping up. I'd never modded an amp before and so was coming from a base of nearly nothing in terms of amp/circuit knowledge. But with a lot of patience, research and tons of help from our Waldo, I've brought a more or less dead amp back to life! :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9x5zie2hvjz1 ... meline.pdf

It was a cool thing to do and I'd recommend the experience to anyone who's been on the fence about diving into a fixer upper...or just considering learning how to work on their own amps. There's definitely a learning curve, but I got over my intimidation and (I think) developed something of new skill-set in the process. Anyway, no biggie with this thread--just a kind of FYI that I hope might help demystify amp repairs/mods for some folks out there. Just learn how to drain caps and unplug those things before cracking 'em open!!!
 #128719  by mgbills

You should be proud and STOKED!

I have a Twin head that has been in my amp heap for a year. You already helped me! That book with the map of components. When I modded my Deluxe, it took me a while to deduce all the caps in the tone stacks. I have the filter caps down, but then it got really tricky. I kept having to table it. Thanks to you, my project is back.

Great job.
Peace
M
 #128726  by lunasparks

mgbills wrote:You should be proud and STOKED!

I have a Twin head that has been in my amp heap for a year. You already helped me! That book with the map of components. When I modded my Deluxe, it took me a while to deduce all the caps in the tone stacks. I have the filter caps down, but then it got really tricky. I kept having to table it. Thanks to you, my project is back.

Great job.
Peace
M
Excellent! That's why I posted it...jump back on that project!
 #128737  by lunasparks

gpilcher2001 wrote:What value and brand of filter caps did you use? Greg...
Three of the 500V 20uf and Two of the 350V 100uf by Vishay/Sprague...the Atom name brand (blue).
 #128749  by NSP

Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

And your "stable" is quite impressive. Can I ask who the builder was on the Wolf?

Thanks for sharing.
 #128751  by lunasparks

NSP wrote:Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

And your "stable" is quite impressive. Can I ask who the builder was on the Wolf?

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words! Wolf is by Matt Moriarty.
 #129120  by lunasparks

lunasparks wrote:
NSP wrote:Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words! Wolf is by Matt Moriarty.
Link below has a short clip of some tones I'm getting out of the amp. I've been troubleshooting a few hums/buzzes, etc. that cropped up but so far so good, I think!

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... rrah-test3

I added some crowd noise to the 1st half of the clip...cheesy but fun. 2nd half is the clean tone. Also, there's a little EQ to bump the high end. I feel like my recording equipment sucks a little tone. Otherwise clean.
 #129267  by lunasparks

zambiland wrote:Where do you get the Allen-Bradley pots?
I actually didn't change out the pots. All swapped components from Mouser.