#128537  by strummingturtle

Would love to hear what people think was the best bob weir solo that they have ever heard. Mine at this time is 1971-04-14 at bucknell university. The china cat starting at 3:25 I could not beleive my ears, but yeah that is bobby channeling some serious jerry or something.
 #128553  by Tennessee Jedi

Was listening to a FOTD from the Alaska run in '80 - Bob does a nice little " solo " I guess you could call it .... more chord work than notes but I likey
:-)
 #128555  by Pete B.

I don't have the Archive.com handy (I'll try to find a good one when I have time), but I have heard Bobby do some nice solo-ee stuff on some Hard To Handle's during the jam section.
 #128556  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Was listening to a FOTD from the Alaska run in '80 - Bob does a nice little " solo " I guess you could call it .... more chord work than notes but I likey
:-)
TJ, you are right. Here's a good one. Coming in at the 6 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suWSvEeIYKw
 #128558  by TI4-1009

I get it- trick question?
 #128564  by strummingturtle

No, not a trick question take a listen to the china cat that I suggested. He definitely has had some moments here and there over the years. Maybe he does lead work more in rat dog but not sure since I do not listen to them much at all really. Not fond of his slide work so lets not go there.
Cheers
 #128566  by Mr.Burns

Just like his non-slide work, Bobby's slide playing has it's moments too. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Werewolves from 7-8-78 contains some of the best slide guitar in GD history. It may be that for the most part Bob is playing rhythm, but it amounts to some great twin lead type stuff. It gives me chills.

Hard to Handle, 8-6-71, hands down, best Bobby solo ever. I also feel like it's by far the best Hard to Handle, due in large part to Bobby blowing everyone's minds with his solo, which in turn encourages Garcia to push the envelope, and soon the whole band is audibly getting off on the sheer intensity of the "changing gears" jam. If there's a better H2H please point me to it.
 #128589  by old man down

That H2H version (08-06-71) has always been my template.

Weir’s chord logic on the start of the jam is easy to capture, and there’s that really neat element at 4:03 - 4:04 (audience, Kaslow and Todd) where the song gets turned inside out, just a very strange, unique element, but done perfectly this time, just before the buildup resulting from the seventh chord, that’s pounded out, over and over, setting up Jer’s explosive entrance.
 #128760  by TI4-1009

TI4-1009 wrote:I get it- trick question?
Just kidding. Watch the China Cat trailer for the Veneta concert movie:

http://www.dead.net/features/grateful-d ... shinevideo

Really nice Bobby transition soloing.
 #128905  by Tennessee Jedi

There is a nice slide solo on Walkin' Blues from Without A Net - was just listening last night
:smile:
 #128920  by Chuckles

His slide work (sorry!) on the transition and fire during the Normal 78 Scar>Fire is amongst the sickest stuff he ever played. At least, I think it was the Normal show... Don't have the ability to listen and confirm just now.