rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#127638  by tigerstrat
 Tue May 07, 2013 7:59 am
the sustain characteristic is not even going to be in the ballpark.
 #127658  by Marlow
 Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 am
I spent a while trying out different Strat pickups for a TB500 sound, and the closest I got was a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Solo. It wasn't very close, though. This thread might be interesting, since it's on a similar general topic:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=426&t=13308
 #128211  by pablomago
 Sun May 19, 2013 6:25 pm
I had a TB-500 that I foolishly sold. I don't think you'll get even close with a Strat. You're better off with a Double Cut Les Paul Jr. with two P-90's. And that won't get you the bright sustain.
 #128229  by Jon S.
 Mon May 20, 2013 7:10 am
If we're talking "closer" rather than identical, perhaps try a 2TEK bridge.
 #128241  by jeffm725
 Mon May 20, 2013 9:55 am
Mr.Burns wrote:It's funny how this seems to be his most elusive tone, yet it came from a factory-built guitar.

Thats because those Bean pickups are so damn unique. Nothing sounds quite like them. A friend of mine has an Artist and one of the pickups is broken and people have been telling him for years that they can wind him a "work-alike" but it never sounds like the other original thats in there. Those pickups make a difference. I have played a Bean with Dimarzios in it, and it doesnt sound "right" to me.

Obviously the aluminum design of the neck and the way the body attaches is a huge part of it, but change those stock pickups out and things REALLY change.
 #128285  by waldo041
 Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 pm
Not sure if it is those guys, but somebody is making decent Travis Bean 500 clones. A jerry version just sold on ebay a couple months back at a workingmans price.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

~waldo
 #128291  by Marlow
 Wed May 22, 2013 4:51 pm
Kevin over at EGC is a good guy. He wound me three TB500 repro pups for a TB500 project guitar, years ago. I still have the pickups but can't decide on a body/neck config. I'm bad at that sort of thing.

Anyway, back in 2006 I emailed Frank Kelleher with technical questions about Jerry's TB500 pickups, and this is the answer I received. What a great, generous guy to answer a perfect stranger with this kind of detail. Maybe someone will be able to make use of this info:

"On one of the first, or perhaps on the first TB500 he
ordered, he requested these features:
3 "stock" pickups (6K ohm single coils)
Bournes ultra pots
3 individual mini toggles (on/off each pickup)

I don't remember any discussion of a reverse polarity
middle pickup, but it was 30 years ago! The wiring I
recall was very straightforward, i.e. any pickup on or
off - parallel - in phase.

However .... that git came back for tweaking not too
long thereafter & I was heartbroken to see that they'd
yanked it all out & put in God only knows what. Active
electronics shoehorned in by someone with 10 thumbs.
Not a clean job to be sure. My fuzzy memory says they
were low impedance pickups paired with some sort of
Alembic type of onboard preamp, but I guess it COULD
have been the P-90 deal. To my knowledge WE never put
P-90s in anything for him, nor is it likely we would
have if asked."
 #128312  by waldo041
 Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 am
Marlow wrote:Kevin over at EGC is a good guy. He wound me three TB500 repro pups for a TB500 project guitar, years ago. I still have the pickups but can't decide on a body/neck config. I'm bad at that sort of thing.

Anyway, back in 2006 I emailed Frank Kelleher with technical questions about Jerry's TB500 pickups, and this is the answer I received. What a great, generous guy to answer a perfect stranger with this kind of detail. Maybe someone will be able to make use of this info:

"On one of the first, or perhaps on the first TB500 he
ordered, he requested these features:
3 "stock" pickups (6K ohm single coils)
Bournes ultra pots
3 individual mini toggles (on/off each pickup)

I don't remember any discussion of a reverse polarity
middle pickup, but it was 30 years ago! The wiring I
recall was very straightforward, i.e. any pickup on or
off - parallel - in phase.

However .... that git came back for tweaking not too
long thereafter & I was heartbroken to see that they'd
yanked it all out & put in God only knows what. Active
electronics shoehorned in by someone with 10 thumbs.
Not a clean job to be sure. My fuzzy memory says they
were low impedance pickups paired with some sort of
Alembic type of onboard preamp, but I guess it COULD
have been the P-90 deal. To my knowledge WE never put
P-90s in anything for him, nor is it likely we would
have if asked."
Thanks for the info.

Jerry's TB500's always had the stock pickups in them. I am sure that these statements reflect that "fuzzy" memory and are actually of both combined TB500 & TB1000a recollections. His original TB1000a was returned and a replacement was sent back that has to be the one he remembers the pickups being changed in because the new one gets custom TB single coils epoxied into a humbucker cover when he gets it back.

~waldo
 #128319  by mgbills
 Thu May 23, 2013 7:51 am
So are those P90's on #12 stock P90's, or a TB special P90?

I've been jonesing around the idea of dropping a TB500 #12 style PU in a Strat. Idea is to make a custom insert out of aluminum for the swimming pool route with individual pockets for pickups. Very snug fit. Possibly even creating a buttress of sorts to a custom bridge. Series 1 would be an SDS-1, TB500, Dimarzio Super 2. Cover it all with a custom pickguard, and keep my favored Tiger wiring schemata.

Big job. I have to find the right CNC guy to make some mucho custom parts.

That TB knock off was really cool. Too bad there will only be 3.
Peace
M