name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #127187  by NotStStephen

Hello everyone. Im Steve from Peoria. New here but not to the scene. Just found this site the other day lookin for a Solo tab for Cats Under the Stars. Didn't find that but this is a very cool place y'all got here. I remember running across Ed Bicks tabs many years ago so maybe I was here before just lookin.
I'm 46 years young and have two sons aged 7 and 22, and a cat.
Other than music I'm into astrology, science, history, cooking, hiking, sci-fi....lots of things. Some of my fav books are Cat's Cradle, Kings Dark Tower series and Dune.
Tried to do a profile here but it told me a max of 0 characters can go in the interests box?
I play guitar and have for about 30 years. Tryin to find the rest of the pieces for a band currently but Peoria isn't exactly New Orleans as far as that goes. Need a drummer for sure but keys and a lady singer would be awesome.
Other favorite artists..Rush, bout time they got in the HOF right? Pink Floyd, Little Feat, Zep, Marley, Beatles, Muddy, Jimi, Coltrane,Steely Dan, Dylan, King Crimson...I could go on.....

I guess I'm sposed to list my gear here, I usually skip that paragraph in the article but here goes.
Carvin Valve Master 100 Amp-had it for 15 years and still love it.
Gibson LP Studio
Gibson SG
Samick LP copy in open G with a couple Duncan pickups
Squire Tele in open E
Alvarez acoustic
Squire P bass
Boss GT-8 multi effect
Vox Ice 9 overdrive- just got that, very nice. You guys know where the term Ice 9 comes from right?

One of the things that I really loved when I ended up at my first dead show, kinda by accident, was the family vibe. I'll never forget the beautiful stranger that gave me an orange cause she overheard me say they smelled good as she walked by. Maybe she's here? And every one I told it was my first show was so welcoming. Alpine 88, so glad I got on the bus.

Anybody else from around here?...and are you a drummer
Peace
 #127190  by Mr.Burns

Ice-9 is from Cat's Cradle, IIRC. It was a nifty little doomsday device of sorts that crystallized water on contact, or something. Didn't Jerry and Hunter use the name for publishing rights? Jer was definitely a KV fan, he owned the film rights to Sirens of Titan at one point. Bill Murray was supposed to be Unk. Would have been a great movie.

I'm from northern IL, but I'm a guitar player as well, so we might not be of much help to each other. Welcome.
 #127194  by NotStStephen

Thats it. Cats cradle. Only book I've ever just re-read as soon as I finished it.
Didn't know about Jer and Sirens, that wold have been fantastic. Bill Murray is great.

and thanks for the welcome
 #127318  by Smolder

I just moved from the Chicago area (edgebrook) to Colorado... used to have to drive out to hoffman (sears) for the corp gig. Really miss my jam buddies back there.
 #127319  by strumminsix

Smolder wrote:I just moved from the Chicago area (edgebrook) to Colorado... used to have to drive out to hoffman (sears) for the corp gig. Really miss my jam buddies back there.
I'm right near there! I miss Poplar Creek!
 #128155  by clayt0n

Howdy! I live 2 hours downstate in Urbana/Champaign. I play guitar myself (focusing on the jerry spectrum if we're talking dead music), and I jam with a drummer pretty regularly! While he's mostly just a spreadneck, he knows quite a few dead tunes and can hold it down.

Lets get together sometime and hang out, or carpool up to a Scarlet Mountain show in Chicago.
 #128165  by strumminsix

clayt0n wrote:Lets get together sometime and hang out, or carpool up to a Scarlet Mountain show in Chicago.
Would love to meet ya, Clayt0n! I'm the Bobby in Scarlet Mountain. When we meet, I'll buy ya a drink for sure!!

If you happen to be near the area next weekend after next we got a double header!
 #128179  by jefkahn

Hey Steve,

I'm in Bloomington. Do I win for being closest to you so far? :)

I'd be up for a jam sometime. I can do guitar or bass but neither one particularly well. Probably better on bass though.

Welcome.

Jef