#128089  by Chuckles

What would you guys consider a good price on a MC250 in fair (working, not particularly concerned with aesthetics) condition?

Thx.
 #128090  by Pete B.

On average I would think $300-$500.
I wouldn't pay over $500 for one because mine was $500 including shipping, and had a recent clean bill of health from a trusted tech.
 #128094  by Smolder

Also consider that parts to service the transistors and capacitors (except for the large cans) will be 50-85 in parts. Finding the transistors functional equivalents is a real pain. If you have someone else do it your looking at 200-350 plus shipping.
 #128098  by schmidtz

I'm trying to sell mine here in St. Paul. I've got it listed on CL here. It was just gone through by Savage Audio (the guys that have done an amp or two for Bobby) and they said it had "the best sine wave they've ever seen".

I don't want to ship it though... I'm looking for the first person to make me a decent offer... I unfortunately need to pay for school :roll:

If anyone is in the area and is interested, the page is here: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/e ... 41776.html
 #128106  by mijknahs

Chuckles wrote:What would you guys consider a good price on a MC250 in fair (working, not particularly concerned with aesthetics) condition?

Thx.
A "good price" as in "good deal" would be $300. But yeah, anywhere from $300 to $500 depending on condition.
 #128139  by Pete B.

I don't have a problem with your CL ad at all.
You can probably get your asking price.
It looks like a good deal and also leaves room to negotiate if you get a cash in hand offer.
 #128143  by Chuckles

Thanks for the responses. That's about what I figured... there have been a few on the 'Bay of late, and I'm seriously contemplating the move...

If I may ask another question (which I know has been covered before I'm too lazy to search!), do those of you that have one use a 1/4>RCA adapter to plug in, or have you swapped out the inputs? I figure for the speaker, I'd just strip down the +/- banana plugs from one of my old speaker cables and put on the standard speaker tips (forget what you call them... the little "c" shaped things that screw under the output screws).
 #128146  by Smolder

Chuckles wrote:Thanks for the responses. That's about what I figured... there have been a few on the 'Bay of late, and I'm seriously contemplating the move...

If I may ask another question (which I know has been covered before I'm too lazy to search!), do those of you that have one use a 1/4>RCA adapter to plug in, or have you swapped out the inputs? I figure for the speaker, I'd just strip down the +/- banana plugs from one of my old speaker cables and put on the standard speaker tips (forget what you call them... the little "c" shaped things that screw under the output screws).

the change from the rca to a quarter inch is minor... the hole in place is just a hair to small, so the drilling is very minimal. Changing the speaker connection is more complicated... if you want all 3 impedance options available it would require either two jacks and a switch, or 6 jacks (or you could go with a stereo jack with both channels). I use the 'c' connectors and have a speaker cable pretty much always attached to the amp.
 #128177  by JonnyBoy

On mine I use the radio shack RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other cable they make. They're cheap and work just fine. The speakers I run to a separate banana plug dual outlet tied to the mac so I can plug in multiple cabs if I want. I run it at 4 ohm tap to a single 8 ohm k120 and I really like the sound there or run my 2x12 e120 cab which is 4 ohms and thats great too. Those amps are tough beasts. I paid between 4-500 for my mc250 without a kind soul doing any upgrades before I got it. That was a few years ago when at least 5-6 of us here were trying to score one at the same time, it seemed. Good luck ole chuck!!
 #128190  by Jon S.

Glad to see you're up to playing more again. As you probably know, on my MC50, I went to a 1/4" input and two 1/4" outs, one 4 ohms, the other 8 ohms (I've never needed a 16 ohm out so I skipped one here). Very glad I did. Yes, it costs a tad more but now the standards cords into and out of my McI are one less variable to deal with. The IEC plug is convenient, too.

#128193  by ccw3432

If you have to send it in for service anyway I'd get 1/4" jacks put on it just to make it cleaner.

I have the mc250 which I love but I would get the mc50 if I were to do it again. Lighter, smaller, and just as powerful. You couldn't do bridged mono with it, but seriously I couldn't imagine ever having to do that anyway.