#128076  by Trecia

Found myself wondering what would serve as a good practice amp power amp. Small premium stereo components and the like... then got to dreaming... Someone's gotta be able to pull this off.

1/4 to 10 watt SS Mac style "practice" power amp.

1/4, 1, 4, 40, 400 watt (selectable) Mac style power amp for all occasions
 #128107  by mijknahs

I'd say if you're planning to practice real quite then it doesn't really matter what amp you're playing with. A Roland Cube with those amp simulators and reverb is just fine. Use headphones.

For good quality tone with some fair volume, an MC50 or 250 sounds good.

Trecia wrote:Found myself wondering what would serve as a good practice amp power amp. Small premium stereo components and the like... then got to dreaming... Someone's gotta be able to pull this off.

1/4 to 10 watt SS Mac style "practice" power amp.

1/4, 1, 4, 40, 400 watt (selectable) Mac style power amp for all occasions
 #128108  by tigerstrat

Highly dependent on your definition of "practice".

Alone in a bedroom? (how are the neighbors/roommates?) Or are you rehearsing with a full band including drummer? Is portability a factor?

I generally do personal practice unplugged, and then at the other extreme, for band rehearsal I have to lug my 3pc./130lb. stage rig around. In the interest of a having a light and portable rehearsal amp, I do wish I would quit procrastinating and get the caps done on my '83 Super Champ (18w, 2x6V6), truly great amp but those worrisome noises are cropping up. Haven't used it in a couple of years.