When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #127943  by ebick

that's a funny and interesting story. on the surface it's a bit hard to believe that he got right up in front there. I saw them once in Texas and it was quite an experience, though they played a great show (7/31/82). Although I have never heard of this "legendarily bad show, it is also interesting to note the set list and the fact that it appears to end quite abruptly....with no encore.

Set 1: Shakedown Street, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Tennessee Jed, Looks Like Rain, Stagger Lee, Beat It On Down The Line, Candyman, Minglewood Blues, Deal

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, From The Heart Of Me, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Not Fade Away > Wharf Rat
 #127944  by TI4-1009

heh heh... good one

Faaaaar out!

Ramrod and Big Steve woulda had him outa there if he had really caused any trouble. :D
 #127945  by Tennessee Jedi

ebick wrote: I saw them once in Texas and it was quite an experience, though they played a great show (7/31/82).
My fav show
The 2nd set is sick and oozes Grateful Dead-ness
 #127946  by ebick

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
ebick wrote: I saw them once in Texas and it was quite an experience, though they played a great show (7/31/82).
My fav show
The 2nd set is sick and oozes Grateful Dead-ness
Now that have just a minute.....I'll tell ya my tale.

I had caught the Red Rocks shows a few nights before with some friends. That show, as I mentioned, was 7/31/82. For anyone who doesn't catch the significance, the next day, Jer would turn 40. The night of 8/1 they were to play at some zoo in Oklahoma. I had heard many heads at RR saying they were going to skip Texas because of how far it was and go to the 8/1 show because that was "going to be the really hot one". That logic defies everything that an experienced dead head should know about their concerts.

My father lived in Houston at the time. I was going to stay with him for a bit after the RR shows, so I swooped in and caught that one on my way while my friends headed home. What an experience. There was this long dirt road heading into the downs and all these Texans lined it with their cars, consuming mass quantities of beer. "Damn, boy", they would say to me with my backpack. "Where you come from?" "Connecticut", I responded. "DAMN! you came all the way here from Connecticut just for this here show?!?!?" Like I said...not many folks who toured could be found.

The whole back of the downs was lined with the white carnival trailers selling cans of beer by the case. These cowboys was getting completely liquored up. It was a real people watching fest. At one point during estimated->eyes, I heard a young man comment to his lady, "you realize we been walkin' along for fifteen minutes now and they been playin' the same damn thing?".

I had told this story to someone who said that on a tape he had you could hear during space someone shout "play a song!". I have no trouble believing that.

Well, as Tennessee said, in spite of this atmosphere, they were smokin' that night. And they did fireworks during the intermission and again during drums for Jerry's birthday. And oh, by the way, I heard the Oklahoma show was a dud.
 #127947  by Tennessee Jedi

Ed
Thats awesome man
I listen to that show once a month at least
I have a great sounding SB of it ... energy just oozes from it !

Manor Downs, Austin, TX (7/31/82)

Alabama Getaway
Promised Land
Candyman
El Paso
Bird Song
Little Red Rooster
Ramble on Rose
It's All Over Now
Brown Eyed Women
Music Never Stopped
Deal

Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
drums
Uncle John's Band
Truckin'
Morning Dew
One More Saturday Night

Don't Ease Me In
 #127956  by TI4-1009

Did they put chicken wire up in front of the stage? :lol:
 #127960  by Smolder

ebick wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
ebick wrote: The night of 8/1 they were to play at some zoo in Oklahoma. I had heard many heads at RR saying they were going to skip Texas because of how far it was and go to the 8/1 show because that was "going to be the really hot one".

I was at that show... not a dud.
 #128243  by ebick

Smolder wrote:I was at that show... not a dud.
listening to this show now for the first time....I am inclined to agree with you.
 #128251  by ugly rumor

That is one funny story!
 #128252  by hotasaPistol

I really like the Donald Duck story.....what a great way to explain an acid trip to someone.....it covers all the bases except for the music and in some ways that makes it more mysterious......My kid are curious about their old man and what he did at shows.........how do I tell them do as I say not as I do.......this would be a good starting point....I have had more than my share of killer trips....only a couple bad ones out of at least 200...if you really want to have fun...drop...wait and then go ski...and if you are good at it jump some cornices..at least 20 feet or ski deep powder while hallucinating......always pick the middle of the hallucination ....I wonder if it would encourage or discourage people to experiment.....what a great story... :smile: :smile: :smile: