When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #127623  by tcsned

Hey all, I've had this cocobolo/maple body for 15+ years (I'm guessing '96-97). It was my first guitar assembly project. It's a carved top Tele made by a guy names Gregg Rogers I found on the early days of the intarwebs. I got a an all rosewood neck from Warmoth and two Gibson P94 pickups and figured out how to put it all together. I gigged with it for a good stretch and then loaned it to my band's rhythm player and she used it for a few more years. I love those P94s - that guitar was a real screamer. I moved on to a Warmoth WGD and it got retired. I had always wanted to hear how it would sound with a maple/ebony neck and had been planning for some time to get a new neck. Then I saw Tennessee Jedi's guitar that Brian (milobender) did for him and it looks fantastic. I contacted him to see if he would be willing to breathe some new life into an old friend. Brian has been awesome to deal with. It has taken a while to get stuff to him, I got a neck built by Doug from Soulmate Guitars, which is awesome but he was pretty backlogged. I was going back and forth on what to do for inlay and was thought of combining my two favorite pastimes together: playing guitar and baseball. I'm a lifelong Orioles fan even through 14 years of mediocrity, now that they seem to be on an upswing and after going to a bunch of games including my all-time favorite 3rd baseman, Brooks Robinson's dedication day, I thought that my Os would make a fitting tribute as Brian breathes new life into my guitar and these great young kids breathe new life into my favorite sports franchise. I contacted Cliff Suttle of Shark Custom inlay to do the work and he did a fantastic job with the fretboard and headstock inlay. All three of these guys have been great to work with and I highly recommend them all. Brian is adding a Super II in the middle position, OBEL/Buffer/Blaster, a super-cool pick guard, new hardware, etc.
Here's some pics of the progress -
in the beginning:
The pickguard shape:
Expanding the rear cavity a bit:
The neck (Oriole "O's" for fretmarkers and a #5 on the 5th fret in honor of Brooks Robinson):
The headstock overlay was a little thin so Cliff made a medallion of the Orioles Bird for the headstock that Brian will attach:
She's looking to be ready in about a month or so. I can't wait to get reacquainted with this old flame :cool:
Last edited by tcsned on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #127627  by Jimaroe

TCSNED- a real cool and unique idea. I love guitars and baseball, too. The inlays look nice and it'll be exciting to see her when she's all done. I'm a Rockies guy myself, so, "14 years of mediocrity" as you put it, is nothin' compared to my boys losing 98 games last year coupled with mediocrity or worse 17 outta 20 years. :roll: Good luck in the AL this season and with the rest of the build.

Jim
 #127630  by tcsned

Jimaroe wrote:TCSNED- a real cool and unique idea. I love guitars and baseball, too. The inlays look nice and it'll be exciting to see her when she's all done. I'm a Rockies guy myself, so, "14 years of mediocrity" as you put it, is nothin' compared to my boys losing 98 games last year coupled with mediocrity or worse 17 outta 20 years. :roll: Good luck in the AL this season and with the rest of the build.

Jim
Hey at least you had some great Larry Walker years :-) I'm hoping the Rockies are gonna be in town while Furthur is at the Rocks so I can see a game. It's one of the few ballparks I haven't been to.
 #127631  by cmc64

Looks great. Bet it will play/sound even better!

I have a neck from Doug at Soulmate that is going into a WGD body. It is a very nice neck but as you mentioned the ebony headstock overlay is a bit thin so I am trying to figure out how to deal with that for the inlay.. But the ebony fretboard/maple/purpleheart/bubinga combo is sharp and the neck is very well built. Doug does nice work. Good luck with the rebuild!

I'll be honest. I was never the biggest fan of Warmoth WGD bodies until I came upon this one. Cocobolo top and bottom laminates and a flames maple core (the flame maple that they use for the top laminate). It is really quite lovely (and heavy). Why was yours retired if you do not mind me asking?

#127632  by Jimaroe

tcsned wrote:
Jimaroe wrote:TCSNED- a real cool and unique idea. I love guitars and baseball, too. The inlays look nice and it'll be exciting to see her when she's all done. I'm a Rockies guy myself, so, "14 years of mediocrity" as you put it, is nothin' compared to my boys losing 98 games last year coupled with mediocrity or worse 17 outta 20 years. :roll: Good luck in the AL this season and with the rest of the build.

Jim
Hey at least you had some great Larry Walker years :-) I'm hoping the Rockies are gonna be in town while Furthur is at the Rocks so I can see a game. It's one of the few ballparks I haven't been to.
Walker was a ball player. Hey, it looks like the Cards are in town on the 19th and the Diamondbacks are here the 20-22 of September. Coinciding nicely with Furthur. You've gotta check out Coors Field, it's a nice(now older) NL park. Have fun!

On your topic of Baseball and guitars... My oldest asked me why I love the Grateful Dead and baseball so much. One simple response I gave her was that their is no time clock in baseball and the Deads music. The beauty of the two is the free forming flow of both without regard for a time limit. Man, two of my fav's!
 #127635  by tcsned

Jimaroe wrote: Walker was a ball player. Hey, it looks like the Cards are in town on the 19th and the Diamondbacks are here the 20-22 of September. Coinciding nicely with Furthur. You've gotta check out Coors Field, it's a nice(now older) NL park. Have fun!

On your topic of Baseball and guitars... My oldest asked me why I love the Grateful Dead and baseball so much. One simple response I gave her was that their is no time clock in baseball and the Deads music. The beauty of the two is the free forming flow of both without regard for a time limit. Man, two of my fav's!
and - you never know what you're gonna get but always something special. Sometimes the team wins but no one played particularly well. Sometimes the team loses despite some brilliant individual efforts. Sometimes the box score (or set list) looks awesome but the game was played sloppily or it could look mundane but played amazingly. I could go on . . .

I'm gonna have to look into going to a game while I'm out there. I think I'm gonna drive up to Baltimore in the next couple of weeks to catch a game.

Nice WGD cmc64 - I love mine. Other than the shape not that Jerry-ish. Quilted maple top and back and mahogany core, 3 Joe Barden pickups.
 #127639  by Jimaroe

and - you never know what you're gonna get but always something special. Sometimes the team wins but no one played particularly well. Sometimes the team loses despite some brilliant individual efforts. Sometimes the box score (or set list) looks awesome but the game was played sloppily or it could look mundane but played amazingly. I could go on . . .

Right on :cool:
 #127644  by tcsned

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Right on Bro !
:-)
Your guitar was my inspiration TJ! :cool:

We'll have to get together and compare sometime . . .
 #127702  by tcsned

It has knobs!
 #127814  by tcsned

Here's what she'll look like with the neck attached:

Here's the rear control cover:
I'm super stoked - Brian has been a dream to work with. Can't wait . . .
 #128033  by cSuttle

I saw this neck when I was inlaying it and let me tell you, Doug did an AWESOME job. You need a picture of the back of the neck to really appreciate what Doug did. I showed it to my son, who is a great guitarist in a popular regional band ( http://www.drawntofury.com ), and he went ga-ga over it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece. I bet it will be amazing.
 #128248  by tcsned

Pickguard is cut and finishing is underway . . .