#127669  by ricepr

assuming its not a McIntosh. Thinking of a class D power amp for a small PA for weight.

The McIntoshes look like a bit of a pain to take out live? Mesa 6L6 based power amps are $$ but...

Wondering what a SS amp like a Music Man or Peavey Nashville with the right speakers, run the SMS into the effects loop?

Just curious
 #127672  by tcsned

I use my MC2100 live and play 3-5 times a month. It's kinda heavy but I let it ride in the passenger seat and it goes straight from there to the top of the speaker cab and never touches the ground so it ain't that bad. Put it in a heavy rack or case and it'll be a bear to carry around. I think it weighs 65lbs. The MC250 is lighter, less than 50lbs I think. The MC50 is probably enough power too and they aren't heavy at all. I got my MC2100 for something like $375.

Other than that, if you want a solid state the Rocktrons are pretty good - I think they come in 300 and 150w versions. The guys who use them here seem to like them. I have a MosValve MV962 that I use as a backup. Sounds pretty darn good to, I paid $135 for it.
 #127677  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:I use my MC2100 live and play 3-5 times a month. It's kinda heavy but I let it ride in the passenger seat
Hows the wife feel about that ?
:-)
tcsned wrote: I have a MosValve MV962 that I use as a backup. Sounds pretty darn good to, I paid $135 for it.
Thats what I use as my main amp
I just got a JBL E 120 and love pairing it with the SMS
^^^^ with Commonwealth speaker^^^^^

Sounds like this
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/943 ... assidy.mp3
 #127688  by Jon S.

Now that my FYD-MC50-E120 has become my main rig, my SMS-RV300-[Neomag+Jensen 12-100] (pic below) has become my backup. It's still a fine sounding rig, though.

#127695  by wolftigerrosebud

I use the the Rocktron V300, which I've used for the past couple years in my SMS/E120 Jerry-esque rig.

Pros
-Reliable & hum-free
-Plenty Loud
-Tone-shaping options
-Bridged/mono modes
-Fits in single slot rackmount case
-Cools efficiently, internal fan works well

Cons
-While it doesn't detract from the overall sound of the rig, it also doesn't add any character or pleasing aural effects (to my ear).

That one drawback has been enough to make me decide to replace it at some point with either a Mac or a tube power amp (been looking at Mesa's 6L6 amp, I love the way Mesas sound clean). By contrast, when I still had my Euphonic Audio iAmp Pro (boutique D-class bass amp), I tried slaving its power section, and let me tell you: huge difference. It suddenly had sparkle and clarity in the highs (without being piercing) and depth in the lows. All of a sudden, the whole rig was way more transparent and alive -- it was like my ears just went "ahhhh." Nevertheless, YMMV; the Rocktron is a top-reviewed piece of equipment and many people like the way it sounds a lot, and it has a bunch of features that are all pretty darn reliable and high-quality.

If it were me, I'd go with a higher-end power amp right off the bat (SS or tube) instead of ending up wanting to replace components later on. And, maybe most importantly of all, I'd go to some lengths to hear it and play through it if possible before buying. Good luck.
 #127705  by tigerstrat

wolftigerrosebud wrote:Cons
-While it doesn't detract from the overall sound of the rig, it also doesn't add any character or pleasing aural effects (to my ear).

That one drawback has been enough to make me decide to replace it at some point with either a Mac or a tube power amp
Assuming you meant an SS Mac, wouldn't that and a tube power amp (of any make) be steps in opposite directions? Even the cleanest tube power has a little too much compression for my taste.
 #127708  by Smolder

Not sure I understand the rational for trying to work around a Mac unless you're specifically looking for a one or two space amp. An MC50 is pretty damn loud, not very heavy and they aren't terribly expensive.
 #127710  by NSP

We know you started your post with, "assuming it's not a McIntosh".....but the fact that this post is in Jerry tone we have to assume that's where you want to be; and a Mac is a key ingredient.

With that said, the main alternatives favored in these parts are the MV962 and RV300. I have a MV962 as a back-up and used it at my last couple of gigs while Terry DeWick was working his magic on my Mc250. Got the 250 back last week and damn...pure bliss. Sure they're a bit more work to gig with, but I have mine secured nicely in a 6U rack by itself and I believe it's worth every bit of extra effort. The only downside I see is cost. Sure you can score something on the bay or craigslist for $300-500ish range for an Mc50/250/2100, but it will most likely need service or at least a check-up that will amount to more funding. If I remember correctly I spent about $150 on the MV962 and it is a great amp, but if your like a lot of us Jer tone junkies, it's difficult to resist the allure of the mighty Mac.

Enjoy the quest
 #127719  by Jon S.

wolftigerrosebud wrote:I use the the Rocktron V300, which I've used for the past couple years in my SMS/E120 Jerry-esque rig.

Cons
If I may ask, how many speakers are you using and is your RV300 bridged or driving them in stereo (dual mono might be more accurate)? Also, how do you set your reactance and definition controls? With your answer, I can explain why I'm asking and whether what I'm thinking now might matter to you (or it might not).

Also, and yes, I know this is a shitty video but I'm don't have a clue when it comes to recording, this is just something someone in an audience posted, check out the opening guitar (excuse the shaky filming - it soon settles down) and lead tones (at 4:00) and tell me if you think my SMS-RV300 lacks character or pleasing aural effects (you can be honest, I won't mind). I'm the guitarist/vocalist on the right.

#127722  by ricepr

NSP wrote:We know you started your post with, "assuming it's not a McIntosh".....but the fact that this post is in Jerry tone we have to assume that's where you want to be; and a Mac is a key ingredient.
I know. Weight is an issue. Bad knees. Also in the lab I worked at as an undergrad we used McIntosh tuners and power amps as research tools in experiments so I know of the quality. I'm just assuming something designed for home use doesn't travel well.

I don't want to clone Jerry cause its impossible, but get in the same general ballpark.

But I may end up with a McIntosh someday