Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #127697  by waldo041
 Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 pm
They use the same neumann kms104 the gd used.

#127747  by JonnyBoy
 Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 am
jeffm725 wrote:Telefunken M80. Just tried the Telefunken M81 the other night too. Might like that better even. Also have a Sennheiser 935 which I love (but love the Telefunken more) and an EV N/D 767 which is decent for the price. Shure's, even the Beta's are good but don't fit my voice and singing style as well as the telefunken and sennheiser.

Oh, our regular sound guy has a few old (not newer) Sennheiser MD 421's. Once in a while when he is in a good mood he puts it up for me. LOVE that mic. The boys used it as a vocal mic for a bit in very early 80's. He puts a wind guard on it when he gives it to me now because he got tired of me spitting on it, but I dont like it as much then, so he has been withholding! Hence the Telefunkens!

Me too. Telefunkin M80 is my favorite. Problem Ive had this year with it is Shure dependent sound guys hate them because they cant dial it in without feeback on smaller stages with monitors about 5-6 feet apart. They are very present and studio sounding. Recordings from the presonus are great. i like a hot monitor, so the sennhieser may have to come out If the sound guy is too retarded. When we have a good sound guy NO ISSUE. BUT If they have a bunch of 58's and you are the only one with the telefunkin m80 I've noticed 3-4 front hot monitors close together reacts weird and my mic is the culprit for high end feedback. Again sound man issue blaming my mic me thinks.
 #128562  by pablomago
 Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm
Audix OM 6 works well with my voice. I also have an AKG 535 that I haven't used much. And I have an almost 40 year old SM 58 that's still working well. My bass player uses a Senn and the drummer has an Audix as well.

I have a cool mic for drummers. It's a Crown 310. It has two diaphrams one wired out of phase so it rejects background noise real well. You have to get right up on it, but it works well. (Dead related) Where'd they get the idea for the dual diaphram mic???