#127592  by ricepr

Looking into a Mesa Express 50+. Has a very very nice Fendery clean channel......
 #127596  by tcsned

I've got a Mesa Mark III that I've had for almost 30 years and I love it. I've also got a V-Twin rack preamp that's pretty sweet too. Niether is all that Jerry-ish but awesome in their own rights. I don't gig with either anymore since getting an SMS CTP but our rhythm player uses an old 50w Mesa and its a nice amp too. If you're looking to get an exact Jerry sound then it might not be for you but if you want a versatile, kick-ass amp I say go for it.
 #127598  by ricepr

tcsned wrote:I've got a Mesa Mark III that I've had for almost 30 years and I love it. I've also got a V-Twin rack preamp that's pretty sweet too. Niether is all that Jerry-ish but awesome in their own rights. I don't gig with either anymore since getting an SMS CTP but our rhythm player uses an old 50w Mesa and its a nice amp too. If you're looking to get an exact Jerry sound then it might not be for you but if you want a versatile, kick-ass amp I say go for it.
what do you run that into? Just curious
 #127602  by tcsned

When I was using the Mark III I ran it into a Mesa half open half closed 2x12 cab which I love. When I got the SMS I used it into the Mark III effect return and loved that too. My V-Twin I used when I was running a direct to mixer rig along with a Lexicon multi-effects processor. It was cool but I was never thrilled with the clean tones though had nothing to do with the Mesa preamp. I've run the V-Twin though my Mac and a Bag End 2x12 with Beyma Liberty speakers and it sounds great, not as Jerry-ish as the SMS but certainly kicks and would work (I keep it in the rack as a backup). I also used a Mark IV combo for a while which was also killer, a few too many knobs for me and great sounding. I sold it to get the SMS rig.
 #127606  by TI4-1009

Lonestar Classic channel 1 into a JBL K 10x12 here. As long as you keep away from the Mesa Recto/metal stuff, most others are based off the blackface circuit.
 #127665  by ricepr

passed on the 50. 25 is nice but has a Celstion 30 instead of a high power speaker so very diffferent tone, also a smaller cab.

Just too many options, very heavy. So I will keep using my Bandmaster Reverb head and a 1x15 cab, but will likely get a 1x12 cab, perhaps an SMS and some kind of lightweight class D power amp
 #127787  by racecar

I use a Mesa 5:25 express and pulled the v30 , put it in a 1 x 12 and added a tone tubby 40/40 speaker in there. Since I am shooting for Bobby styled tones, this speaker did the trick for me. My lead guitar player uses a 5:25 as well sometimes and gets nice Jerry tones out of it. But I would not classify them as Fender cleans. They are Mesa cleans if that makes sense. Very pedal friendly too. Good size, good weight. the 5:50 is a VERY different animal, and they do not sound alike at all (IMO).

YMMV
 #127839  by jackr

I was using the lonestar, but never could dial it in just right. Although it was real close.

I got rid of it and went with a small transatlantic head and 2x12 rectifier cab. I've got that dialed in perfectly. Also it is so small and easy to manage. It is VERY loud even though it is so small. I figured for very large gigs i am micing it to the PA anyway.
 #128210  by pablomago

I have two Mesa's. A MK 1 RI with an EV speaker and a Studio .22+ with an Altec 417-H speaker. I use the Studio for 97.54% of the gigs I play. I don't think it nails the Jerry tone, but I set it clean and use pedals and gives me most of what I need.

I got the MK 1 more for Santana sounds.

I also have a Fender Dual Showman Reverb and a 2 x 12" cab with K-120's in it. That's my Dead jam rig. It's loud and weighs a lot though.
 #128219  by mkaufman

Joe Martin plays a modded inexpensive Cort guitar through a Mesa Mark I with a 12" WOS JBL. It nails the '73/'74 Jerry sound. Of course, he modded the amp.

The tone cannot be beat!

mk
Last edited by mkaufman on Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #128231  by mgbills

Loved my Mesa Mark I w/ K120. Very freakin' loud. Very Jerry.
Have a Transatlantic as well. Love it. Very close through a 1 x K120.

I'm in the camp of being able to get very close with the clean Mesa amps.
Peace