#127341  by Forgotten Space

Strummin Six (and anyone with opinions on speaker set up for Bob tone), I know you have mentioned here that you are using these speakers.

What are your thoughts for set up? For example, Aluminum dome, yes or no? Paper or cloth surround? Dope?

Do you feel that these speakers are flexible enough for both late 70's/ early 80's as well as later 80's tone?

I currently have a Jensen Mod 12, 4 ohm 70 watt in a 1x12 cab. It is fine for the later 80's tone but is lacking in the tonal characteristics for the earlier tones. I am thinking of going to a 2x12 with the neomags.

Thanks! Jon
 #127342  by strumminsix

Forgotten Space wrote:Strummin Six (and anyone with opinions on speaker set up for Bob tone), I know you have mentioned here that you are using these speakers.

What are your thoughts for set up? For example, Aluminum dome, yes or no? Paper or cloth surround? Dope?

Do you feel that these speakers are flexible enough for both late 70's/ early 80's as well as later 80's tone?

I currently have a Jensen Mod 12, 4 ohm 70 watt in a 1x12 cab. It is fine for the later 80's tone but is lacking in the tonal characteristics for the earlier tones. I am thinking of going to a 2x12 with the neomags.

Thanks! Jon
I have 4 NeoMags: 3 12" and a 1x15. Love them all.

Aluminum dome, paper clothe, light dope on each.
IMO, they can cover most eras nicely but do best for 76 (my favorite tonal year). I can easily get all the 70s and early 80s. I've never tried to cop a late 80s or 90s Bobby clean as it's not all that to my ears. I usually just thin out my tone a bit for those eras and use different settings for overdrive and distortion.
 #127346  by Smolder

FWIW - the cab is a huge part of this.

I put a weber neo in my princeton (silver dome) and it was weak weak weak. Dropped it into the vibrolux reverb with a weber cali and it works great. I think it needs a fairly stout cab.

That said, the standard d/k/e120 does not sound right in a vintage avatar 1x12 cab. Too much cab and too much bass response.
 #127388  by Jon S.

I had a pair of aluminum cap, cloth surround 12" Neomags in a Sound Scaper Production 2X12 and didn't like them at all. The best way I can describe them is they were piezo sounding. I sold the pair, then copped a paper cap, cloth surround Neomag and a Jensen Neo 12-100 and combined them in my SSP 2X12 with each speaker wired to its own independent input jack which I drive with an SMS Classic Preamp with dual mono outs into a Rocktron Velocity 300 stereo power amp. I still find theNeomag too thin on its own so what I do is set my volume to taste first through the channel driving the Neomag and the bring up the volume on the channel driving the Neo 12-100 until it's just right to fill in the lower mids that to me are lacking in the Neomag. I love this combination.

Since then, I've set up a second Jerry rig for myself of a FYD Classic Tube preamp into an MC50 into a 1X12 with a JBL E120. This has confirmed for me that the thinness I heard consistently in the Webers was real. The JBL is significantly more fuller sounding. But I feel I can get close with my Neomag/Neo 12-100 combination.
 #127392  by strumminsix

By contrast I didn't like the Jensen neos. IMO it's easier to fatten up tone than to dial out mud.
 #127395  by Forgotten Space

Interesting, I also would be powering the Neo's with the Rocktron Velocity 300. My Ibanez has active EMG humbuckers which are pretty fat sounding. I am not thinking the Neo's will be too thin in tone because of this. Clearly, the MacIntosh/JBL combination is the silver bullet for Jerry tone...

Just checked out the SSP cab's. They are pretty sweet..
 #127397  by gmchart

For "Bobby Tone" think about the Tone Tubby Double D's. They are pretty spendy but, they're right there.
 #127398  by Jon S.

strumminsix wrote:By contrast I didn't like the Jensen neos. IMO it's easier to fatten up tone than to dial out mud.
OMG, the Jensen Neo 12-100 may be the clearest speaker I've ever owned (some even dis it as "sterile"). It gives you right back what you put into it. The bass in particular is tight as heck. If yours was truly muddy sounding, I have to believe you had bad luck with a defective example (it happens).
 #127399  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:By contrast I didn't like the Jensen neos. IMO it's easier to fatten up tone than to dial out mud.
OMG, the Jensen Neo 12-100 may be the clearest speaker I've ever owned (some even dis it as "sterile"). It gives you right back what you put into it. The bass in particular is tight as heck. If yours was truly muddy sounding, I have to believe you had bad luck with a defective example (it happens).
I had the 10s and compared them to EVs
 #127400  by Jon S.

I have 3 Neo 12-100 in 3 different cabs and they're clear and balanced in all 3.

People express different opinions of Neos vs. EVs. Here's one example of some guy's comparison of a Jensen Neo 12-100 with an EV:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=3

And another guy's:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=27
 #127407  by strumminsix

Interesting! Then again they were in an 80s Fender Concert
 #127414  by Jon S.

I used to own one of those Rivera Concerts that I bought new in '83. It came with the EV stock. For clean tones, it was glorious but so f- heavy that when I moved it, the strap literally left a depression in my palm that took a good half hour to return to its usual shape afterwards. Today, I'd swap in a Neo 12-100 and keep it but they didn't have Neos that I was aware of in the mid-90's so I sold the amp.
 #127417  by racecar

I have tried a number of different speakers that utilize a cannabis cone instead of paper with varying results. But I believe those type of cones are best for achieving that Bobby tone.

I started wtih the Cannabis Rex , works ok, very jazzy sounding, not my favorite, but it does a pretty good job.

Celestion V30 - Wasn't to my liking in its stock configuration as compared to the V30 with the TT cone

Celestion V30 with a Tone Tubby cone - very nice , midrange focused, very good speaker to get a nice smooth tone, I pair this with a Tone Tubby 40/40 and its a very nice combination. Each one in its own 1 x 12 cabinet.

Tone Tubby 40/40 (green speaker) - I also have one of these in my mesa and it works like a charm. I think this speaker beats them all , trying to achieve that smooth mid focused tone. I also believe it is what Bobby uses in his amps at TRI. Not that translates into achieving his tone. I investigated them after seeing them in photos from TRI, so I found one on Ebay and it has worked very well for me.

I have also had good luck with Forte Cabinets. Very 3D sounding.

But in all honesty, my recently acquired Roland JC77 nails that mid 70's tone better than anything I have thrown at my rig ...... ever. I would never have thought. Played 4 gigs with it and its been a great addition to my rig.
 #127421  by Smolder

Awesome racecar.

I wondered what a hemp cone would do for a neo.

Last fall I was going back and forth with Kimock he mentioned that he has a couple of D120's that were re-coned by A Brown Soun with hemp. Apparently he brings them on tour for high altitude gigs where other speakers tend to lose their low end. Living at 8300 foot, I've been tempted to send one of two dead d120's to them for a re-cone... just haven't done it yet.

I had the green TT, but did not like it much. The red alnico version, while it can handle fairly high wattage, works really well for low wattage amps. It compressed and sparkles very nicely.