#127083  by Ddavis510

Ok. I've source my wood. I'm going to give it a go with Padauk and maple. I've sourced my crucial electronics from Leo at ScarletFire Guitars. Here's the wood. I'll post pics of the maple again once its surfaced. The figure is really nice. Buddy approves.

#127084  by tcsned

Looks good Ddavis510! That's some pretty maple. Nice Buddy Guy pic :) I did a very small festival with him 15 or so years ago in Newport, VA (about 25 miles from the WV border). Super nice guy, totally killed his set. :hail:

Enjoy the build, keep us posted!
 #127085  by Ddavis510

At the time of this photo I worked at a ski photo firm and the airport. So I took the photo at the gig, printed it after the show, and was the gate agent for his departing flight from Jackson Hole the next morning. I looked at him and said 'Mr Guy, So much of what I try to do on guitar is because you did it first.' I was so star struck. I had two copies of the photo. I asked him if he would like one. He signed one and took one and thanked me. Buddy Guy is a class act.

Call me Dan please.

What's your name man?
 #127086  by Ddavis510

I should be in the shop the first week of May. I'm off work (read unemployed :oops: ) so this one should go quick. Suits me though. I've wanted this guitar my whole life.

Later on.
 #127088  by tcsned

Dan,
I'm Tom (C is the middle initial Sned for the beginning of my last name). If I can score tickets tomorrow I'll be out for Red Rocks shows in September, haven't been there since '85.
 #127089  by Ddavis510

Tom,

We'll be there. I think we're doing the Friday and Saturday shows. We have a wedding on the Sunday show. Let me know if you make it out. It would be cool to get some forum members together for a 'lot pick' and bbq. There seem to be a bunch of forum folks in and near the Denver area.

Dan
 #127090  by tcsned

Yeah, I'm planning on Friday and Saturday too, meeting a musician friend from telluride out there. Hopefully run into a few rukinders out there. We'll all have to meet up.
 #127124  by Ddavis510

Fret board from LMI just arrived!

24 frets, 25.5 scale, zircote.

I'm thinking of doing red jasper 'bolts' for the fretboard inlay. I'm pretty stoked.

Thanks for checking in,

Dan
 #127139  by tcsned

That's pretty!
Just got my Red Rocks tickets for Fri, Sat :-)
 #127148  by Mandoborg

Bruce Harvie Maple by any chance ???.......
Have a pile of Mandolin wood that looks Just like that !!
 #127152  by Ddavis510

@mando,
That maple is from a fallen sugar maple back home in WV. I kept a solid supply :)
 #127173  by Mandoborg

Good Show !!!!
Theres nothing like a piece of crystal clear maple to make you grin !! Nice to know you have more to work with.........soon this stuff will be more valuable then gold..
Keep us posted on your progress.....watching another builder build never gets old !!

Jim
 #127174  by Ddavis510

Jim,

I sign the lease on my shop space on 5/1. Should be updating quickly after that.

Dan
 #127176  by Ddavis510

Hey folks,

I'm toying with the idea of using a wet/dry mod on this project? Has anyone added that onboard? I've never used an OBEL would it be useful? What are your thoughts?

Dan
 #127177  by tcsned

My thoughts on the OBEL is that it's primarily a practical thing. If you use a bunch of stompboxes it gives you a quick exit for singing or needing to get clean in a hurry without the tap-dance routine. Having a master volume after the effects is nice too. I like the convenience.