name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #126927  by kansaschris

Hello. I'm Chris. Deadhead, musician, aspiring electrician.

Played in many cover bands, blues, etc. I currently play mostly jazz and original music gigs.
Main instrument is a 2005 Modulus jazz bass.

Look forward to talking GD with some friendly Internet folks. :)
 #126928  by Smolder

Hey Chris... I lived there for most of my life, now in Colorado. Welcome!

I followed many dead-ish bands when I lived there including TofuTeddy back in the late 70's and the Schwag when they came through and a buddy of mine toured with 'em. Lawrence is a great town, I miss it.
 #126929  by kansaschris

Smolder wrote:Hey Chris... I lived there for most of my life, now in Colorado. Welcome!

I followed many dead-ish bands when I lived there including TofuTeddy back in the late 70's and the Schwag when they came through and a buddy of mine toured with 'em. Lawrence is a great town, I miss it.
You know Darrell by any chance? Guitar player.
 #126930  by ebick

"I'm an old Kansas man, myself".

My early years in Overland Park.
 #126933  by Smolder

born in kcmo, grew up in overland park (SMWest), went to school in Lawrence... never left until 2006.
 #126936  by ebick

kansaschris wrote:Grew up in Prairie Village and Overland Park. Went to SMS.
I'm guessing I'm older than you are, but that's not based on any information. I went to kindergarten at Trailwood, which I believe is still there, and 1st thru 1/2 of 5th grade at Nall Hills Elementary, which I know is not. This would have been in the early to mid 70's.
 #126938  by kansaschris

ebick wrote:
kansaschris wrote:Grew up in Prairie Village and Overland Park. Went to SMS.
I'm guessing I'm older than you are, but that's not based on any information. I went to kindergarten at Trailwood, which I believe is still there, and 1st thru 1/2 of 5th grade at Nall Hills Elementary, which I know is not. This would have been in the early to mid 70's.
Yeah you got a few years on me. Small world though.

Did you attend 5/8/77?!?
Last edited by kansaschris on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #126939  by kansaschris

So I've visited the welcome wagon, FAQ, and the other how to use forums. I've got a couple questions.

Is there a miscellaneous/general discussion page to talk random stuff, sports, and current events?
What is the tab creator? Where is that found? I generally learn by ear or sheet music but I am intrigued.
Which forum will I find things like people's favorite version of a song. Or favorite shows and cool youtubes.
 #126940  by Tennessee Jedi

kansaschris wrote:So I've visited the welcome wagon, FAQ, and the other how to use forums. I've got a couple questions.

Is there a miscellaneous/general discussion page to talk random stuff, sports, and current events?
What is the tab creator? Where is that found? I generally learn by ear or sheet music but I am intrigued.
Which forum will I find things like people's favorite version of a song. Or favorite shows and cool youtubes.
Hey KC
At the bottom of the page it says " index "
Click it
For Sports and stuff we have been using the " Everything Else " tab
" Grateful Dead General Discussion " - ( is that what its called ? ) for the Best tune / fav version / what year type of things

Hope this helps

- Tom
 #126945  by ebick

kansaschris wrote:Did you attend 5/8/77?!?
no....just that one a few days before....but although some see 5/8 as the holy grail, the band was playing real well that whole tour and 5/5 is nothing to sneeze at. :) That said, I had absolutely no fucking clue what was going on. I don't even really know why I was there. I just know that I liked it and went back for more.
 #126946  by Smolder

I was fortunate enough to see them in Kansas City and in St Louis in '77... my first two dead shows. I think I came in at a pretty nice era.
Last edited by Smolder on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #126948  by kansaschris

ebick wrote:
kansaschris wrote:Did you attend 5/8/77?!?
no....just that one a few days before....but although some see 5/8 as the holy grail, the band was playing real well that whole tour and 5/5 is nothing to sneeze at. :) That said, I had absolutely no fucking clue what was going on. I don't even really know why I was there. I just know that I liked it and went back for more.
No doubt 77 was smoking. Some folks think 5/9/77 was better than 5/8. I like them both. But that Cornell show was my indoctrination.

Anyway I asked because I'm sure you've heard the rumor and stories about 5/8 never happening and that it was really a set from a couple different shows compiled. There are some conspiracy theory aspects to the story as well.
 #126952  by Smolder

kansaschris wrote:
Smolder wrote:Hey Chris... I lived there for most of my life, now in Colorado. Welcome!

Very well. Darrell and I met in Jr high, played in a band together through high school and have been good friends ever since. Good cat.
 #126956  by kansaschris

Smolder wrote:
kansaschris wrote:

Very well. Darrell and I met in Jr high, played in a band together through high school and have been good friends ever since. Good cat.
Great guy. Great player. We're a little more than acquaintances. Facebook friends, etc. He might recognize my name, might not. I know him from being in a band with a friend of his, Ken, that plays Hammond B3.