Place for the rest of the music
 #126718  by Counterstriker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3QGdRgZWc

we just started getting in the bar circuit, now that we are legally allowed to play in them haha.

we do the song a little different. I was also using my new Vox ac15, not my jerry rig. I was however using my jerry strat but i was using the neck and bridge together.
Be as rude as you can! just looking for honest criticism
 #126721  by strumminsix

I farted while listening but not caused by listening... Is that rude enough?

Honest thoughts:
1) Singer started on 2nd verse
2) And continues by re-singing 2nd verse
3) get those lights in front of you... I made the same mistake with my Cauvet 4bar too :)
4) your drummer is dominating the mix. Root causes could be recorder placement, PA, loud ass drummer, etc.
 #126725  by Counterstriker

Haha that was rude enough. I totally forgot the first verse.. gotta get some lyrics for that one hah. Agreed on the lights, they were the house lights but next time def gotta put them up front. Yeah haha he plays so damn loud! We were thinking about micing him before the show and man am i glad we didn't!

Thanks for the critique!
 #126734  by tcsned

Other than the stuff strummin' pointed out - the lights and the drums, you guys are sounding real good. It was a little hard to pick out the other instruments through the drums. Maybe some lighter sticks or something like "hot rods" might a good idea in smaller venues. The key is getting asked back. If it's so loud that people leave even if they like you then you're not doing yourselves a favor by having to play to an overly loud drummer. Our drummer went to an electric kit to manage the volume issue. Nicely done otherwise :)
 #126735  by strumminsix

tcsned wrote:The key is getting asked back. If it's so loud that people leave even if they like you then you're not doing yourselves a favor by having to play to an overly loud drummer. Our drummer went to an electric kit to manage the volume issue. Nicely done otherwise :)
Good luck, all, convincing your drummers of these sort of things. Some of my favorites excuses have been:
- No way am I too loud
- You are amped, I am not
- I'm just keeping up with the rest of the band
- I can't play quieter or it'll slow things down

The list goes on and on and on...
 #126741  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:
tcsned wrote:The key is getting asked back. If it's so loud that people leave even if they like you then you're not doing yourselves a favor by having to play to an overly loud drummer. Our drummer went to an electric kit to manage the volume issue. Nicely done otherwise :)
Good luck, all, convincing your drummers of these sort of things. Some of my favorites excuses have been:
- No way am I too loud
- You are amped, I am not
- I'm just keeping up with the rest of the band
- I can't play quieter or it'll slow things down

The list goes on and on and on...
lol - I hear ya, going digital has been a real godsend. Rick can play as hard as he wants and we can do a small club or he can crack the shit out of it for a larger place. Our old drummer used brushes or hot rods for most gigs. That stuff takes getting used to, but man the difference it makes is huge.

One of my favorite editorial cartoons - dude with acoustic guitar sitting next to a drum machine at a club. Title: the world's first realistic drum machine. Bubble quote "let's play something faster, do we get free beer? look at that girl in the red sweater . . . " :lol:
 #126755  by strumminsix

Counterstriker wrote:My favorite excuse is "you guys just aren't loud enough" but really, he hits those drums way to hard, im gonna switch out all his sticks for really light ones! and thanks a lot guys, im taking all these things in account for the next gig!
Do you have the ability to mic the drums? If so, try this:
1) buy some plexi glass (6 of 4' x 2' pieces) from hardware store + some 4" wide box tape
2) lay them out tall with a spacing about 2x the depth of the glass
3) tape them so you've just made a proof of concept drum sheild for about $40 and an hour's labor
4) have him setup his kit with the cymbals lower so they aren't clearing the top
5) mic the kick and surround him with the class
6) give him a monitor

I've done this before with other bands and the beauty is that the drummer gets all his volume back and usually instantly plays quieter but with more dynamics and the mic'ing allows a great FOH sound and his own monitor make 'em happy too!