#126629  by proshy

Hello!

Trying my hand at the good ol' trade of guitar making! Since i peruse this site often for everything dead related, i thought it might be just a good idea to contribute.

Preface: I am no master builder, so 'hold your mud' cause i definitely make mistakes now and again..but one thing is for sure: i got a lotta patience and a smile for a face :-) (also, high attention to detail)...(also, love me some good natured advice from people way smarter than me :cool: )

So, spent a lotta time itching and researching the formidable "wolf"...But i'm convinced i got it down! Figured out what i thought the scale length was and made me a full size picture of the guitar, with some help from the kinkos staff, of course. Then was able to print out a 'spot on' template (presumably), to scale.

Took that over to some mdf, and made me a decent template to work with.

SOOO, this wolf is gonna be a mixture of what i got for a minuscule amount of tools and a minuscule amount of money..aka a poorman wolf, or as I like to say: a mangy wolf.

enjoy,
proshy
Last edited by proshy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #126630  by proshy

Get some alder from woodcrafters Image

gonna avoid that booger in the top right corner Image

Run it through the planer to get that tight joint, next is clampin and gluin Image

like this Image

Squeeze for 24 hours
 #126631  by proshy

Glued up ready to dance (sorry, no red dress)

Draw out the template, just for giggles

Route out the neck joint (fender style) and swimming pool (not pictured, i forgot)

Like that

Relief cuts

Rough cut body

Flush trimmin'

This part always freaks me out, it's one monster of a bit!

Turned out pretty good!
 #126632  by proshy

Pretty good for a days work!

Next phase: rear control cavity, pentiometer holes, bolt on holes, roundover sides and anything else i can think of...

:-) ,

proshy
 #126633  by Grant

Top effort proshy :cool:

Curious - how come you decided against a neck-through construction?
 #126645  by proshy

Grant,

Thanks for the encouragement! Eventually, I'll be able to get the neck through going...that's the goal at least: Have a completely outfitted guitar making factory!

The bolt-on construction was an idea that i had when i was trying to find a custom builder to build my next guitar...Without any luck, nobody would make me a 'one-off' of the template i made, so i just decided to do it myself! With this, someone that has an old bolt-on neck lying around (or is willing to buy a pre-made neck from warmoth or something) can get the cool shape of wolf with the practicality of a leo style guitar.

proshy
 #126693  by proshy

Update, didn't get a lot done... but enough for all you to get some popcorn! :cool:

Off to the sanding machine

It was'a sweet sunny day!

Smooth out them shadows

Careful with that

cute little roundover

there ya go, off to the 'unique' side

straightened him out good

Cavity cuttin' time

Cavity cover depth

switch templates

A ba'zillion passes later, 1/8 inch left for pentiometer shaft

hole to the cavity, eyeball the angle

like this

hole was a little high comin out the rear, nothin to worryabout

proshy
 #126694  by proshy

Here's a sneak preview with an old johnson neck, pick-guard i assembled from the old johnson pickups (custom cut guard), and some ol' pot covers :smile:

proshy