#126128  by shadowboxer

Was wondering if any one knows what brand of mini-humbuckers Bob uses in the blue Modulus guitar? And has he used mini humbuckers in other guitars? I've looked at some 2005 Ratdog video on youtube and it looks like he had a tele with a mini-humbucker in the neck position sitting in a guitar stand behind him. Did he ever use that one on stage?
 #126129  by Sparechaynge

Somewhere on here there is a story (Dozin?) that someone bought a Bobby guitar on ebay and the seller had Bob in the room when the buyer called to ask a question. During the call the buyer asked what pickups were in the blue modulus, and Bob said they were Allparts mini-humbuckers.

Sorry that that isn't really very helpful.
 #126139  by gr8fullfred

It is difficult for me to understand why someone would be interested in trying to replicate any particular Bobby guitar, guitar modification or other Bobby hardware. The reason for this is that Bobby never stuck with one instrument, one manufacturer, one anything. Seem to me that Bobby either did not care what he played (for instance the casio midi guitar, or that pink thing), or has massive guitar ADD.

Bobby constantly played different guitars, and I assume amps effects and things. There was never any apparent purpose or direction. So even if you replicated a certain setup or period, it would be a short and non-definitive period. He very well may have had a different setup for each and every show, if you include the differing guitars.

Jerry on the other hand had a consistent and evolving setup, with relatively minor evolutions. Yes Jerry was always playing with things, but overall had the ability to find something that he liked, and stick with it. From late 73 until 1994 Jerry played three guitars on stage, Wolf, Tiger and Rosebud. He played Tiger for like 11 years. All three, as we know were made by Doug, Rosebud was an evolution of Tiger. Jerry stuck with the Mac 2300 for many years, as well as the Twin Reverb heads for use as preamp. And the JBL speakers.

There is just not the stable target to try and hit with the Bobby tone. I for one actually like Bobby's earlier stuff, sometimes it was hard to tell Bobby from Jerry.
 #126140  by strumminsix

gr8fullfred wrote:It is difficult for me to understand why someone would be interested in trying to replicate any particular Bobby guitar, guitar modification or other Bobby hardware. The reason for this is that Bobby never stuck with one instrument, one manufacturer, one anything. Seem to me that Bobby either did not care what he played (for instance the casio midi guitar, or that pink thing), or has massive guitar ADD.

Bobby constantly played different guitars, and I assume amps effects and things. There was never any apparent purpose or direction. So even if you replicated a certain setup or period, it would be a short and non-definitive period. He very well may have had a different setup for each and every show, if you include the differing guitars.
I very much agree! Bobby used different tools to most effectively play in a specific register. Now, said register changed:
60's: standard electric register
Early 70's: fat, almost sitting in like an acoustic (did not like)
Mid post hiatus: Rich with chime!
Late 70s: clear with chime
80s: chime, glassy
late 80's and 90's: chime, ring, and distortion and sustain!

You give Bobby any type of guitar (different woods or pickups) and any type of amp and within 30 minutes he'll sound the same.

IMO, mini humbuckers work VERY well for his Ratdog registers which is sorta similar to 76 type tone.

My #1 for Bobby guitars has tapping mini humbuckers and I can cover most any Bobby ground. To get early 70s, I just roll of the tone and become just too dark and non descript.
 #126141  by Dozin

The Allparts mini humbuckers are split style. The third control is dual gang pot which allows you to sweep in how much humbuckers you want or vise-versa. I believe weir always has the Broadcaster pickup on. The guitar doesn't sound as rich without it.
 #126145  by mkaufman

Dozin wrote:The Allparts mini humbuckers are split style. The third control is dual gang pot which allows you to sweep in how much humbuckers you want or vise-versa. I believe weir always has the Broadcaster pickup on. The guitar doesn't sound as rich without it.
More explanation please!

tnx,
mk
 #126146  by Dozin

The 3 toggles are just on off switches. The mini humbuckers are wired to the 3rd pot on the guitar, which is a stack dual gang pot. It's designed to split the 2 mini-humbuckers from humbuckers to single coils. Since it's a potentiometer half of the humbucker is cancelling out depending on how much sweep from the pot. All the way clockwise full humbuckers, couterclockwise single coils.

Does that help?
 #126149  by Sparechaynge

The 3 toggles are just on off switches. The mini humbuckers are wired to the 3rd pot on the guitar, which is a stack dual gang pot. It's designed to split the 2 mini-humbuckers from humbuckers to single coils. Since it's a potentiometer half of the humbucker is cancelling out depending on how much sweep from the pot. All the way clockwise full humbuckers, couterclockwise single coils.
This is too cool. I may have to incorporate it into my next build :D :smile:
 #126150  by Dozin

mkaufman wrote:So, the variable splitting of both minibuckers is controlled via a single pot? What is it a stacked dual gang pot.

Pickups are (2) Allparts minibuckers plus (1) Broadcaster single coil?

mk
Yes, Yes and Yes
 #126154  by Dozin

It looks like this

It's another useful variable for controlling your tone. Instead of all single coils you can thicken it up by adding a little more of the second coil in the pickup
 #126156  by mkaufman

So, there's one shaft which controls both pots simultaneously while maintaining two separate circuits?

For Weir's blue guitar, why can't the leads from both pups be connected to a single non-ganged pot?

Does the hot signal from each pickup go to the pot first or the on/off toggle first?

Maybe a wiring diagram would answer all my questions...

mk
 #126159  by Dozin

I'll save you the hassle. Weir doesn't even have the pot active, it's just there.
So it's wired for all single coils. I did the same thing to my guitar. My comment was just addressing what kind of pickups are in the guitar and the function of the controls in the blue modulus.