#125994  by Poor Peter

Howdy All, I know this topic has been discussed at length in the past, but I'm hoping a few people will chime in so I can cut through a whole lot of searching. In your opinion what is the best speaker on the market for getting close to the Jbl tone? Webers and Commonwealths are the names I seem to be hearing the most. Could a few of you post your opinions so I know exactly where to start?
 #125996  by tcsned

I've got the Commonwealth's and for the price they're a good option. I also have a set of Beyma Libertys and I think they're even more JBLish. More costly too.
 #125997  by Tennessee Jedi

Petey
I was running 2 Weber neos for a year or two - they sounded good I thought very bright
Then I got some Commonwealths and fell in love with them - dag they are sweet
Got a JBL that i will hopefully have up n running soon to compare the others to ....'
:-)
 #126004  by Jon S.

When I was also running two Weber NeoMags, I didn't like their tone much. Bright in a tinny way and whimpy on the lower mids. Today I'm running one Weber NeoMag together with a Jensen Neo 12-100. Each speaker is driven independently by its own half of a Rocktron V300 power amp fed by an SMS Classic Preamp. I bring up the volume on the NeoMag to playing level first. Then I add the Jensen Neo just enough to fill in where the Weber is weak (especially the lower mids). This works very well for me.

But as this gear stuff is a sickness, just Wed., I got my MC50 back from Classic Tube Audio all restored and ready to go with my also new FYD preamp and 1X12 w/JBL E120. I probably won't get around to actually setting up and using the new rig until next week. It will be interesting to compare and contrast it to my original rig.
 #126006  by Smolder

my 10" weber neo does not sound like my d10 or k10, but it's in the ballpark. That said, what your really trying to do is get close to the 4" voice coil tone of the D120 and D130 (or subtitle a K or E). I have 10 and 12 of the weber cali, and while nice speakers, they are not direct substitutes for the JBL's. That's all I got.
 #126012  by myoung6923

Beyma Liberty's are supposed to be modelled after the E120. Keir has a set of them and I have listened to them as well as played through them. They are a VERY good choice for getting the E120 sound. Don't forget though, there is a break in period for new speakers when they will sound better. I have heard its about 6 months...
 #126014  by barefootdave

Just buy a real JBL and be done with it.
 #126020  by Poor Peter

Thanks for the replies guys.I thought about just buying some JBl's but I would prefer to buy something "new" if I could get something that was pretty close in tone. Less chance for headaches down the road in my mind. Right or wrong. Thanks again this has been a big help.
 #126023  by tcsned

I'd say if you're going for a JBLish tone the two choices are Commonwealth's and Liberty's then it comes down to price. The Liberty's are on the pricey side and are about $250 each. The Commonwealth's are only about $150 each. Both are excellent speakers and I like them both. I think the Liberty's are a little better, they're 300w speakers and the Commonwealth's are 200w. I think you'll be happy with both, I am. I can give you some clips of the Commonwealth's though they're in a ported closed back cab. I don't have a good recording of the Liberty's yet. I have a gig Friday and will try to get them recorded then.
 #126080  by keirweir

I would have to strongly recommend the Beyma Liberty speakers. As mentioned above they don't come cheap but man they sound good. I have had mine for about 4-5 years now and they seem to sound better and better with time. I was trying to get close to a 95 tone on this so it’s pretty thin but that's the amp settings. They are very versatile speakers. LOVE BEYMA!

#126170  by Jon S.

I do like your tone a lot - and your phrasing! - and I also like your vocals. They fit the song well! :cool:
 #126242  by jeager

I tried the e120 and some fancy boutique speakers I won't mention the name of and finally scored a pair of k120s that I think are just awesome. I finally paired down to using a single k120 cause I hate schlepping heavy gear and it sounds great. The e 120s and the liberties have some heavy friggin magnets, put two of those in a cab and be ready to visit the back cracker...

I found the e120 kinda harsh I must say...it's been said here that that speaker needs to be cracked up and driven real hard to get the good stuff outa it. In the places I play that would be unwise, in fact didn't the dead switch to in ear monitors and running direct because their ears were getting fried? I find the k120 plenty loud and it does not need so much power to get it singing... played outdoor shows with it miced thought the pa just fine...I don't think I want a speaker that was designed to handle 300 watts.
 #126243  by strumminsix

jeager wrote:I tried the e120 and some fancy boutique speakers I won't mention the name of and finally scored a pair of k120s that I think are just awesome. I finally paired down to using a single k120 cause I hate schlepping heavy gear and it sounds great. The e 120s and the liberties have some heavy friggin magnets, put two of those in a cab and be ready to visit the back cracker...

I found the e120 kinda harsh I must say...it's been said here that that speaker needs to be cracked up and driven real hard to get the good stuff outa it. In the places I play that would be unwise, in fact didn't the dead switch to in ear monitors and running direct because their ears were getting fried? I find the k120 plenty loud and it does not need so much power to get it singing... played outdoor shows with it miced thought the pa just fine...I don't think I want a speaker that was designed to handle 300 watts.
Congrats on your acquisition, jeager! Many folks, myself included, are re-gearing to smaller/lighter/lower powered gear!