#123496  by gpilcher2001

Here is my chain guitar> obel> weber super reverb kit in a head cabinet jerry mods> groove tubes d75> egnator tweker cab loaded with k120. I can run all guitar tube types in D75 except 6V6 and el84's. So far my favorites are the kt88 and the kt66. The kt88's are loud and clean way up on the dial. The kt66's have a good early break up. When I use the earth drive to try and warm up the kt88's it sounds pretty good bit not the same as the kt66's on the edge. It seems to me that the earth drive sounds best gooseing a hot power tube. I guess I'm after the best of both worlds. I like the super clean but want the edgy also. So my question is directed at Mr. Sarno, do you have any examples or settings you tend to go with based on amp type, tube type? Or favorite set ups and uses?
 #123540  by jeager

I initially used my ED for big overdrive settings, I had no distortion pedal so that was it for the over the top kind of thing. Recently I picked up a cable and bread distortion which is way over the top evn on low gain settings and have taken the ED out of the obel and set it for low drive and use it all the time. I don't know if I'm bonding with the new dirt box so maybe I'll dump it and get a second ED for my high gain stuff. It so sweet sounding like that. Trouble is, I hardly ever go there. I am in clean or semi clean mode almost all the time.
 #123546  by gpilcher2001

Try the ocd really versatile dirt box. I use mine for that higher gain thing. Sounds good as a bosst too but its always got some ki d of dirt to it.
 #125919  by ccw3432

Does anyone have any sound samples to share? If anyone's feeling up to it, it would be great to hear some audio through a Jerry rig with and without the Earth Drive engaged for comparison, or maybe some different settings on it. I've been holding out on purchasing one so far. The audio/video samples on Brad's website sound really great but I'd like to hear it doing the Jerry sound.
 #125922  by tcsned

ccw3432 wrote:Does anyone have any sound samples to share? If anyone's feeling up to it, it would be great to hear some audio through a Jerry rig with and without the Earth Drive engaged for comparison, or maybe some different settings on it. I've been holding out on purchasing one so far. The audio/video samples on Brad's website sound really great but I'd like to hear it doing the Jerry sound.
I've got this video. I was just in the process of putting some more recent stuff on YouTube, I'll see if there's something a bit better quality. I ran through a handful of different things but they're listed in the text at the bottom left. FYI - my guitar is using the middle humbucker for all of this.

#128263  by shadowboxer

To tcsned, I like the sound that you're getting in the video. Is that a Super 2 in full humbucker mode with no split coil during the whole video? And what kind of guitar are you using?
 #128266  by tcsned

shadowboxer wrote:To tcsned, I like the sound that you're getting in the video. Is that a Super 2 in full humbucker mode with no split coil during the whole video? And what kind of guitar are you using?
The guitar came from a thru-neck that I got from Soulmate Guitars and a really sweet burled redwood top I got off eBay. My buddy and local luthier, John McKenna put it all together for me. The pickups are Duncan Stag-Mag humbuckers, in humbucking mode. I love the sound in hb but the single coil sound (which they are supposed to be good for) is a little lacking. Maybe it's growing up playing a Les Paul :-) it's a sweet guitar. I chose the Duncans because i have a former bandmate that owns a music store and got me all the parts at dealer cost and he was a Duncan dealer not DiMarzio. It's also a really nice video camera (JVCGYHD100) with a Rode NT4 mic. I inherited it when I left my corporate gig a few years ago. XLR inputs and a nice DA/AD converter.

Thanks!
 #128386  by tcsned

wolftigerrosebud wrote:I really enjoyed your playing, tcsned. :cool:
Thanks! I do my best to have fun with it.
 #130225  by gpilcher2001

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the earthdrives input could handle the alembic preamp tap. As far as the impeadance match. Thanks Greg...
 #130226  by tcsned

You could PM or call Brad, he's always been good about answering questions.
 #130285  by aiq

Like most I have tried several distortions during the last couple years, got it down to a MAxxon OD 808, a Wampler Brent Mason (the first one), and the Earth Drive.

The Wampler is actually 2 in one, very versatile but always seemed to sound a bit "sharp", prolly better in a hard rock sitch.

The Maxxon is nice and creamy and capable of some crunch.

But I have settled on the ED as it seems to be fat, crunch if you want it, and creamy.

Since it won its place in the chain have gotten some good comments.

Pretty settled on it. Or as settled as I can be... :?