rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #93669  by tcsned
 Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 am
I read on Thomas Lieber's Facebook page that he is giving up the custom building and taking a corporate gig with a major guitar company. Too bad for us, very good for whatever company is offering the gig - their guitars will no doubt improve.
 #94002  by vwjodyme
 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am
tcsned wrote:I read on Thomas Lieber's Facebook page that he is giving up the custom building and taking a corporate gig with a major guitar company. Too bad for us, very good for whatever company is offering the gig - their guitars will no doubt improve.
Did he say anything else since then? He seems to have unfriended me or taken down his page :cry:
 #94005  by vwjodyme
 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 am
found it. i was looking under lieber :oops:

Are there others who work in his shop? it just says he will no longer take orders for guitars he personally makes, and may or may not take another job
 #125910  by jmac56
 Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 pm
I have owned and played a Doug Irwin Earthworm #34 since about 1976
This acquisition was during a visit to Santa Rosa with a friend of mine who introduced me to Doug.
Recently I've become interested in acquiring some supporting documentation of it's authenticity other than my word and the guitar itself.
Although the intention is to pass the guitar down to my heirs, I feel the need to have proof of authenticity and value.

Suggestions on this endeavor are welcome.

John McGuire (former guitar player for many an unknown band in the S.F. Bay Area)
 #125911  by Jimaroe
 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm
Hey JMAC!
Love to see a pic or two of your guitar. Glad you're on the forum.

Jim
 #125916  by TI4-1009
 Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 am
Rick Turner or Tom Lieber?
 #125920  by gr8fullfred
 Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:48 am
I have owned and played a Doug Irwin Earthworm #34 since about 1976
This acquisition was during a visit to Santa Rosa with a friend of mine who introduced me to Doug.
Recently I've become interested in acquiring some supporting documentation of it's authenticity other than my word and the guitar itself.
Although the intention is to pass the guitar down to my heirs, I feel the need to have proof of authenticity and value.

Suggestions on this endeavor are welcome.

John McGuire (former guitar player for many an unknown band in the S.F. Bay Area)
#1 lets see a picture of this guitar. There is not much documentation on Irwin's guitars aside from Jerry's Irwin's. Please post a picture or two of this guitar.

#2 You may want to get an appraisal on the guitar. PM me if you want some advise on this.

#3 Lets see a picture of the guitar!
 #127260  by Thomas Lieber
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 am
I have not retired from building. Years ago I was offered a significant position with a major manufacturer. After a visit to the facility I decided I didn't like the location and didn't want to relocate. I am happy living in Central NY.

Now the DOLLAR sign guitar is not our proudest moment in design and building at D Irwin and Company. It was a contracted job that helped pay a few bills but my heart really wasn't into that project! It belong to a fellow in a Bay area band called "27 dollar snap on face".

To clarify, I am still building and design instruments. They range in price from $2000.00 up to $32,000.00

best to all,
Thomas Lieber
http://www.LieberGuitars.com
http://www.SpellbinderCorp.com
 #127285  by strumminsix
 Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 am
Thomas Lieber wrote:I have not retired from building. Years ago I was offered a significant position with a major manufacturer. After a visit to the facility I decided I didn't like the location and didn't want to relocate. I am happy living in Central NY.

Now the DOLLAR sign guitar is not our proudest moment in design and building at D Irwin and Company. It was a contracted job that helped pay a few bills but my heart really wasn't into that project! It belong to a fellow in a Bay area band called "27 dollar snap on face".

To clarify, I am still building and design instruments. They range in price from $2000.00 up to $32,000.00

best to all,
Thomas Lieber
http://www.LieberGuitars.com
http://www.SpellbinderCorp.com
Great to hear, Thomas! Love the guitars on your site! Especially the Spellbinder!!
 #127287  by TI4-1009
 Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 am
Thomas Lieber wrote: I am happy living in Central NY.
+1 :-)