When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #117564  by Dwarf Rat

I have the Cruz, Merrill, Brondel, and the Franklin is for sale at www.acousticmusic.org.

.Sold the D28 to get an HD28. Sold the HD to make a house payment a long time ago.
Sold the Kinnaird to refloor the bathroom. Sold the Wingert to get the Merrill. The Franklin is up to pay for some roof repairs.

Got an SG coming soon to replace the one that was stolen 10 days after I got it last October.
 #117594  by Charlie

I have an old Japanese made Takamine acoustic dreadnought that I've had for years and more recently a small body Martin cutaway. Mine is one of the Mexican made series that has a composite neck. In Australia these are about half the price of a US made Martin and still sound and play really sweet. I also like it because the the neck is a bit wider than your average steel string, getting towards the width of a classical guitar neck. I'm primarily a bass player and I really appreciate that little bit more space between the strings. At my standard of guitar playing, (pro bass player, reasonably competent amateur guitarist) I'm more concerned with getting a good acoustic tone than a specific Jerry tone and these work just fine.
 #117606  by Grant

My friend owns a gibson advanced jumbo, i find it pretty hard to beat. really beautiful sounding guitar

as for taylors - nice for light fingers, but i really dislike them strummed with a pick - can get VERY bright and string-y

I'd go a Gibson, Santa Cruz, or higher end Martin (eg. Golden Era series)
 #117626  by seamones

This has been a great discussion thanks everyone. A quick update on my current status because there is something to be learned from it, at least by me.....

I took the old guild in for a full setup and new tuners. When I got it back in knew the search was over. I had to wait 20 mins or so when I picked it up and was playing $3-$6k Taylors, Martins and Gibsons while waiting. I was interested and a bit concerned about how the old girl would feel after playing such high end instruments. Well when i got it back...to me, it sounded and played as good as any of those guitars. (Although I did really like one of the Martins.) The difference the action, bridge, etc adjustments made is just unbelievable.

Just goes to show the value of a setup by an excellent tech/luthier. The 2680 is going in this week, cant wait!
 #125088  by vwjodyme

Anyone in the Boston area know a good spot to try out some acoustics in the 2k range? I've been going to GC a lot, and to my ears the American Series Breedloves sound the best. But I want to try larrivee and a few others before pulling the trigger...because as my gf put it, this will be my last guitar for a long time
 #125153  by Linkslover

Well when i got it back...to me, it sounded and played as good as any of those guitars. (Although I did really like one of the Martins.) The difference the action, bridge, etc adjustments made is just unbelievable.

Just goes to show the value of a setup by an excellent tech/luthier.
Not in the same price range as you've been looking at, but I have a similar story. About 3 years ago I decided to start playing again after 10 years off. So, I took my 30 year old Yamaha FG160 into the guitar tech at GC to see what it would cost to get into shape. He said about $170 (new saddle, neck adjustment, etc...). I thought "wow" I only paid $150 for the guitar to begin with. Maybe I should just buy a new one. So I played everything in the store from new Yamahas up to Breedlove, Martins and Taylors. The only ones that "fit" my hand were the Taylors, but I didn't love their sound.

I was still debating what to do, when the tech asked a passing salesman if he wished he still had the first guitar he ever owned. The "yes" answer pushed me into paying for the repairs. Got the Yamaha back and I couldn't believe it was the same guitar. It never played so well in its life and I wouldn't trade the sound for any of those higher end guitars.

Enjoy your Guild!
 #125280  by mutant_dan

This may sound crazy but Taylors are so consistant that the tend to turn me off. Every single guitar within a specific model designation seems to have that same signature sound without varience or subtle differences.

I have owned 3 Taylors in the last 10 years and I always seem to go back to the vintage Martins. I recently traded an old van for a 1950 0017 and couldn't be happier. It has all the mojo of an old Martin and is a fingerpickers dream.
 #125305  by mutant_dan

gr8fullfred wrote:I was blessed to have #36 made for me and it is beyond gorgeous! Will post some pics one of these days.

http://robgoldberghandmadeguitars.com/
Rob makes some awesome guitars, the wood is superb.

Here is a link to my other instrument, a 6 string guitar/banjo (gitjo):
http://www.cjenkinsluthier.com/cjenkins ... Gitjo.html
The long neck allows you to get up higher than your typical acoustic
And you get that banjo twang..
Last edited by mutant_dan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #125382  by vwjodyme

Well I made the mistake of going to the music emporium today. Fell in love with a Santa Cruz and a bourgeois that I couldn't possibly afford or justify for my playing ability.
 #125394  by ccw3432

That's great that you got the Guild D25 going again. They are amazing guitars in my opinion. That happens to be my acoustic guitar of choice as well, even compared to guitars thousands of dollars more. I spent a couple years shopping for acoustic guitars. I played tons of them at GC. Lots of mid end to high end guitars trying to find the perfect tone I was after for my ears. Many of them were good but none were perfect. A while later I went to purchase a mini reed organ off of a craigslist ad. The guy selling it had a bunch of acoustics and I had the opportunity to play a few. One was the D25. He was considering selling it but ended up not selling in the end. Playing it was incredible. It was the sound I was after. The one piece arched laminated mahogany back gives it something unique. It really projects those bright notes too. I found a nice sunburst one on ebay and went for it hoping it would sound as good, and it did. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and still absolutely love it.
 #125516  by NWPines

Figured I'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one. I've been looking for a new acoustic for over a year (a belated 40th bday present to myself) with a budget up to $1500. I've played everything I could get my hands on over the last year and have tried to keep an open mind. I've definitely learned a lot. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Larrivee L-03R Deluxe. It's supposed to arrive today ("on FedEx vehicle for delivery")!!! I'm at home losing my mind running to the window everytime I hear a truck hoping it's FedEx.

Anyway, if you haven't played a Larrivee yet you might want to give one a try. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, especially when compared to other guitars in the same price range. Bottom line, play as many guitars as you can and find what works for you.
 #129003  by seamones

Whoa. Here is the man himself playing what looks like my D25!

EDIT - how do you post pictures here??? :? :D
 #129019  by mutant_dan

Just picked up this 1950 Martin OO17 for a song. I really like the smaller body and you can't really tell from these pictures as it looks prestine in these photos compared to it's actual "VG+" condition, it has the road worn mojo that is over the top..

ImageImage
Last edited by mutant_dan on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.