#125086  by chipperj

Hi,
Apologies for redundancy, but has anyone had any luck (or issues) with mixing a JBL K120 with either a "D"(f) or "E" in a 2x12 cab? I had two "E"s, and was not liking the overall brightness. I switched one of them with a "K", and liked it much better. Now I want to switch the other "E" out with a "D"(f). Yes? No?
 #125093  by zambiland

It probably could be done. The K and E have a lot more in common than either with the D. The D handles a lot less power and has different efficiency characteristics, so I think it depends largely on what you are driving it with, how loud you will push and what the cabinet is like (open back, closed back, etc.). You could try it, but expect a different tone out of each speaker. It shouldn't hurt anything.
 #125098  by Smolder

The D and K share the same alnico magnet. The K and E share similarities in the rest of the structure. Personally, I don't really like the E's. The D and K's are sweeter, especially at lower volume. And, I don really need the wattage handling of the E. My E's have been moved to wedge monitors and mid range columns. I play guitar through the D's and K's..
 #125099  by gpilcher2001

As long as he ohms match you're fine. Keep in mind the lower wattage speakers sets your max watts. Greg...
 #125100  by chipperj

Thanks all,

I've been driving them with a BF Vibrolux (volume usually around 3.5), in a SSP cab, and it's a pretty loud rig. The switch will hopefully get me sweeter tones at less volume (before my bandmates kill me..), and not so ice-picky.

I will be driving them with an SMS/Mosvalve 962, as soon it arrives... Really hoping the "D" will handle it.
 #125104  by Jon S.

I tried a K but didn't care for the lower mids - seemed lacking to me. I've copped an E but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. We'll see ... :smile: P.S. The problem with trying just one vintage speaker example of any model is the sample size is too small to be certain if any shortcomings you perceive are endemic to the model or it's the one example you have is imperfect. This is why, for many (if not most) reviews of vintage speakers, you have to be careful to take what you read with a grain of salt and this includes my own assessment of the K I had.
 #125341  by mgbills

I have a 2x with 1 E & 1 K. I like it...seems to give it some dimension to the brightness. It is in a cab with atypical geometry. Open back...a bit wider than the Turner dimensions would dictate. It does seem to warm them both somewhat. I also have a 1x K that I love. It's designed to the Turner spec, and it's pretty darn bright. Not like an E in a 1x.

I have a D120 in a '67 Deluxe Reverb. Love that too.

I love them. Time to find another screaming deal on some JBL's.
 #125342  by Smolder

FBlades95 wrote:Has anyone ever mixed clone brands? i.e. Eminence Commonwealth and Weber Cali?
I do have a weber ceramic cali with an E120 in a 2x12 cab. The cali warms up the E and brings a bit of tonal balance - reducing the bright/harshness of the E. It's a test, and I'm likely to empty that cab for something more useful. I have another with a D and a K that is more musical sounding.
 #125347  by Pete B.

The nice thing with stereo power amps is that you can use different brand/model/ohm speakers, and still have the speakers operating at their correct ohm-rating, and adjust the volumes to be equal.
I have a 4-ohm E120 and an 8-ohm K120 in a 2x12 and run them at their rated Ohm-taps with an MC250, with the volumes adjusted to either match, or favor one or the other speaker.
These speakers sound very different, so it is fun to experiment.
I tend to like the E120 on the bottom.