rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#125095  by ricepr
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:24 pm
I have some ideas but im plain more slide myself and would just like more info. Im guessin bob and jer used standard tuning for slide? Thanks
 #125096  by mijknahs
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm
ricepr wrote:I have some ideas but im plain more slide myself and would just like more info. Im guessin bob and jer used standard tuning for slide? Thanks
Yeah standard tuning since they'd have to go back to regular chords and scales after the slide playing was done. Bob played slide on CC Rider, Minglewood, Althea, US Blues.
Bob and Jerry both played slide on Little Red Rooster.
Jerry played slide on Passenger, Row Jimmy (pre 1981 or 1982?).
Some others I forgot?
 #125103  by strumminsix
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm
mijknahs wrote:
ricepr wrote:I have some ideas but im plain more slide myself and would just like more info. Im guessin bob and jer used standard tuning for slide? Thanks
Yeah standard tuning since they'd have to go back to regular chords and scales after the slide playing was done. Bob played slide on CC Rider, Minglewood, Althea, US Blues.
Some others I forgot?
That was Bobby on slide on Row Jimmy.
Bobby on slide also on US blues, some NFA's, WalKin Blues, and others...
 #125108  by mijknahs
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:49 pm
strumminsix wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
Some others I forgot?
That was Bobby on slide on Row Jimmy.
Bobby on slide also on US blues, some NFA's, WalKin Blues, and others...
Nah, pretty sure it's only Jerry on slide during the Row Jimmy solos in the early days up through 1981. In '82, Jerry drops the slide and plays "regular" solos without any slide.
 #125110  by tigerstrat
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 pm
Definitely Jerry slide soloing on Row Jimmy, at least up to circa 1981-82.

Row Jimmy
Passenger
Weather Report pt I
Rooster
Walkin' Blues
at least one Hard To Handle...
...some of the Dylan stuff like Highway 61 Revisited iircc

Althea is just Weir on slide and I could be wrong but I think CC Rider and Minglewood is just Weir too.

Weir also slide on Brother Esau

How bizarre that this thread appeared about 24 hours after reaching a turning point where I felt like, sometime in the foreseeable future, I might be able to call myself a slide player...!
Last edited by tigerstrat on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #125111  by TI4-1009
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm
I'm boycotting any thread that even discusses Bobby' slide "playing"
 #125115  by mijknahs
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 am
strumminsix wrote:Jerry must be a God then.... How's he playing a slide solo and fretting at the same time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0y648Q ... ata_player

Weir clearly picks up a slide just before the first chorus and he takes the first solo
That Egypt '78 must be the exception to the rule because I've only heard Garcia play slide on the solos of RJ pre 1982.

Typical examples :

#125124  by Mr.Burns
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 am
I agree with Jim here, just the other day I was trying to think of a specific example of one of those RJs with Jerry wailing on slide, but I never came up with one. I was also under the impression that only Bob played slide on Werewolves of London. At least thats what I'm hearing on 7-8-78, my fave 'Wolves. It's the interaction between Bob's slide and Jer's fretted notes that gets that one cookin'.
 #125126  by strumminsix
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:38 am
mijknahs wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Jerry must be a God then.... How's he playing a slide solo and fretting at the same time?

Weir clearly picks up a slide just before the first chorus and he takes the first solo
That Egypt '78 must be the exception to the rule because I've only heard Garcia play slide on the solos of RJ pre 1982.

Typical examples :

So the plot thickens.... If you listen carefully to the video I posted and other versions you'll clearly hear IRS the same slide style and Jerry behind.
 #125138  by tigerstrat
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 am
strumminsix wrote:
mijknahs wrote:

Typical examples :

So the plot thickens.... If you listen carefully to the video I posted and other versions you'll clearly hear IRS the same slide style and Jerry behind.
I was going to post the same thing as Jim but was too sleepy to chase down the video evidence. Bobby taking a solo in RJ seems to have been an experimental phase they were going through with the song right around that time. Boy, Donna is singing sweet on that 12/30/77 ain't she? I like how Jerry kept his slide in his back pocket.... also it seems like Jerry might be fingerpicking the entire song.
 #125139  by Pete B.
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:13 am
Arguably the worst slide playing i've ever heard is on the RJ from the "To Terrapin" disk.
I pray it was Bobby, but I fear it's JG.
 #125150  by hogan
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm
strumminsix wrote:Jerry must be a God then....
lock thread :-)