rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #125048  by barefootdave
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm
Yep, nice job as usual Dan Jr. Both the Bobby and Jerry parts are very well played with great tone. The vocals are nice too, is that you singing?
 #125049  by mijknahs
 Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 pm
The Stag wrote:here is my shot at the 80s tone.
Hey Stag - I know you've probably already said before but what preamp and power amp are you using? Mmmkay?
 #125053  by The Stag
 Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 am
Nope that would be phillesh101 (Dave) singing and playing the bass. And I'm using a fender twin with a McIntosh 2100 and one jble120 here also with my tiger replica. Maybe next show I'll use my " rosebud" and we can here the difference you were earlier discussing about each guitars tone.peace Mmmkay
 #125060  by mijknahs
 Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:46 am
The Stag wrote: And I'm using a fender twin with a McIntosh 2100 and one jble120 here also with my tiger replica. Maybe next show I'll use my " rosebud" and we can here the difference you were earlier discussing about each guitars tone.peace Mmmkay
Thanks Dan Jr.!
 #125091  by lunasparks
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
mijknahs wrote:Second, the exact placement of the pickup makes a big difference. I used to have my coil cuto switch wired so I could change which coil was the active single coil. It made a big difference to my ears. Also, when I had a modded PRS EG, the middle position was too far forward so I flipped the pickup over so the active coil was closer to the bridge. Placement make a difference and the easiest way to see this is to flip the pickup around (or have it wired so you can go back and forth).
To satisfy my curiosity, I flipped the middle pickup on my Wolf. 1st part of clip below is with typical North coil active. Second is with pickup flipped for South coil active. Subtle difference but in early innings I prefer South coil active:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... -test-deal

Thoughts?


Edit: some noodling around (mistakes and all) with middle, south coil:
https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... uth-pickup
 #125097  by mijknahs
 Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 pm
Hard to say which one is better. You'd know better being there in person. To me it sounds more like low volume bedroom tone which is hard to get that "growl".
 #125122  by lunasparks
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 am
mijknahs wrote:Hard to say which one is better. You'd know better being there in person. To me it sounds more like low volume bedroom tone which is hard to get that "growl".
Definitely not done at bedroom volume. SMS at 10:30, Mc2105 at 11:00, guitar volume wide open.

It was Loud in the room...
 #125127  by TRG
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am
lunasparks wrote:
mijknahs wrote:Second, the exact placement of the pickup makes a big difference. I used to have my coil cuto switch wired so I could change which coil was the active single coil. It made a big difference to my ears. Also, when I had a modded PRS EG, the middle position was too far forward so I flipped the pickup over so the active coil was closer to the bridge. Placement make a difference and the easiest way to see this is to flip the pickup around (or have it wired so you can go back and forth).
To satisfy my curiosity, I flipped the middle pickup on my Wolf. 1st part of clip below is with typical North coil active. Second is with pickup flipped for South coil active. Subtle difference but in early innings I prefer South coil active:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... -test-deal

Thoughts?




Edit: some noodling around (mistakes and all) with middle, south coil:
https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... uth-pickup
That's an interesting concept, and was curious to hear what the difference would be, so thanks for posting the samples. To me, they sound really close...maybe a little more "quack" with the south coil.

Would be cool to hear that a/b test with a note bending lead. Not saying that you need to do that, just curious if the differences would be less subtle or not in more of a real playing application. Regardless that guitar sounds great!
 #125140  by LAfadeaway
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am
To satisfy my curiosity, I flipped the middle pickup on my Wolf. 1st part of clip below is with typical North coil active. Second is with pickup flipped for South coil active. Subtle difference but in early innings I prefer South coil active:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... -test-deal

Thoughts?


To my ears and personal taste the south coil sounds much better, with more bite and Jerry attack on top of the tone. One man's opinion and all.....
 #125180  by lunasparks
 Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm
TRG wrote:That's an interesting concept, and was curious to hear what the difference would be, so thanks for posting the samples. To me, they sound really close...maybe a little more "quack" with the south coil.

Would be cool to hear that a/b test with a note bending lead. Not saying that you need to do that, just curious if the differences would be less subtle or not in more of a real playing application. Regardless that guitar sounds great!
TRG - link below is to a few additional clips. First pass is north coil active, second is the south coil. Not exactly lead tone, but this is what I recorded before and after the switch. Note: playing gets even sloppier in the south coil clips (a few cold ones during the pickup flip with my buddy probably wasn't the best idea!). Anyway, this will give a little more flavor for the impact of the switch. As before, it's subtle, but....

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... p-test-all
 #125187  by TRG
 Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 am
lunasparks wrote:
TRG wrote:That's an interesting concept, and was curious to hear what the difference would be, so thanks for posting the samples. To me, they sound really close...maybe a little more "quack" with the south coil.

Would be cool to hear that a/b test with a note bending lead. Not saying that you need to do that, just curious if the differences would be less subtle or not in more of a real playing application. Regardless that guitar sounds great!
TRG - link below is to a few additional clips. First pass is north coil active, second is the south coil. Not exactly lead tone, but this is what I recorded before and after the switch. Note: playing gets even sloppier in the south coil clips (a few cold ones during the pickup flip with my buddy probably wasn't the best idea!). Anyway, this will give a little more flavor for the impact of the switch. As before, it's subtle, but....

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013- ... p-test-all
Indeed, it is subtle...but I think if I had to choose one or the other I would choose south coil active! This ties into the location of the pickups relative to the nut and now I'm wondering how far away from the nut the center of that middle pick up is? In the below thread, Waldo had provided some measurements from nut to center of each pick up on Tiger. I know these are two completely different guitars, but still would be interesting to see how the middle pickup placement compares.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11692&hilit ... 30#p111714

from the front of the nut (fretboard side).
middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

edit: and I guess what my point is, is that maybe the middle pickup is not in the ideal position on some guitars and that is why the distance from the nut to the middle of the middle pickup could help determine which coil you want to be active to get "that sound".
 #125249  by lunasparks
 Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 pm
TRG wrote:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=11692&hilit ... 30#p111714

from the front of the nut (fretboard side).
middle of neck = 20 1/2"
middle of middle = 22 1/4"
middle of bridge = 24 1/16"

edit: and I guess what my point is, is that maybe the middle pickup is not in the ideal position on some guitars and that is why the distance from the nut to the middle of the middle pickup could help determine which coil you want to be active to get "that sound".
Okay, I'm a little nutty...and a little wrong in my prior post. The distance on my Wolf from nut (fretboard side) to middle of the middle pup is 22 2/16" vs. Waldo's Tiger indication above at 22 4/16" (let's keep it in 16ths) -- I'm only closer to neck by 2/16". It's about 5/16 from middle of Super 2 to pole pieces. So figure North coil active for Jerry at 21 15/16" vs. South coil for me at 22 7/16". So now I'm setup on middle pup 1/2 inch (oops, 8/16") further toward the bridge than Waldo's Tiger -- greater deviation...but in the correct southerly direction. Consolation prize?

Crazy theory more or less busted. Par.

So, really, can anyone actually nail this tone? :D :D :smile:
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 16