name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #124582  by one eyed jack

Hey Everybody,
I am not new to browsing this forum for info relating to my rig but I am a new member. Really been digging this site for a while now... from the tabs, to the gear discussions. I am in a tribute band here in Virginia called Bigfoot county. We have been playing regionally for a couple years now. When I started this group I had know idea the learning curve for Jerry's tone and style would be so steep!! I have been putting all kinds of money into my rig and it sounds good but I am never completely satisfied with it.
I look forward to bouncing ideas off of everyone on here about the journey to awesome Jerry tones.

Current rig:
Carvin DC145 and standard strat
M13 stompbox
mxr distortion
twin amp
 #124589  by tcsned

Welcome fellow Virginian! What part of the state do you hail from? I'm from Blacksburg, there's a couple of others from around the state on the forum. If you come to the mountains look me up!
 #124590  by tcsned

Post some audio/video if you've got some :)
 #124597  by one eyed jack

I am from Lynchburg...I Lived in Blacksburg for a while myself. You are in the Kind right?
Here is some video of my band "bigfoot County" doing terrapin.The rig I am playing now is completely different. This was last year before I started investing in the "tone", and slowly going nuts ever since!!
 #124608  by tcsned

Yep, that's correct. My wife is from Lynchburg, or Amherst to be exact. We should share a gig someday. Maybe Roamoke.
 #124629  by one eyed jack

Yeah, that would be great to split a gig. We have played the coffee pot in Roanoke a couple times but it seems as though that place's glory days have come and gone...not a whole lot of people seem to go there anymore. Where do you all play in Roanoke?
I used to come see y'all at champs on Tuesdays a lot when I lived in Blacksburg and always had a blast. I used to Jam with Roger out at his place a bit too.
What kind of gear are you using? I remember you used to play a custom guitar I think, maybe something you built?
 #124638  by tcsned

one eyed jack wrote:Yeah, that would be great to split a gig. We have played the coffee pot in Roanoke a couple times but it seems as though that place's glory days have come and gone...not a whole lot of people seem to go there anymore. Where do you all play in Roanoke?
I used to come see y'all at champs on Tuesdays a lot when I lived in Blacksburg and always had a blast. I used to Jam with Roger out at his place a bit too.
What kind of gear are you using? I remember you used to play a custom guitar I think, maybe something you built?
Yeah, we used to play the Pot up to about 7 years ago, we've been playing Billy's Barn a bunch that place is cool. Playing Martins next week, we'll see how that goes.

I've gone through a bunch of gear changes lately. I'm playing a custom thru-neck with Duncan's, OBEL, Waldo's buffer. I'm using an SMS preamp into a Mac MC2100 and either a pair of Eminence Commonwealths or Beyma Libertys.
 #124650  by one eyed jack

Cool, I am a newbie to the technical side of guitar. I had always just played what sounded good to me and what I liked, without really going for a particular tone...Since starting this group though, I have been trying to learn more about achieving Jerry''s tone and its caused me to have a lot more questions and not too many answers, which is why I finally joined the forum. A lot of the discussions are way over my head at this point though.
I have talked with Joe martin from shakedown amps about sending him my twin for some mods, and I am doing some things with this stratocaster I have, like putting in some super 2's . so I am learning slowly, but its a steep curve. My main guitar is a thru-neck Carvin DC series... I love it.
I haven't seen you guys since I left Blacksburg in 2006, when is your gig at Martins? I would like to get up there and catch you guys if we aren't playing the same night. I always had so much fun on Tuesdays at champs. It would be great to maybe get there early and chat with you and pick your brain a bit to gain some knowledge from someone who has been doing this a lot longer than me.
 #124651  by tcsned

We are playing Martins this Thursday then Billy's Barn in Friday. Come on out, play a tune or two with us :)
 #124655  by one eyed jack

I will be working this Thursday and Friday evenings this week, But I was looking at you alls schedule on your site. I will definitely be at the Gillies gig on March 15th. I will shoot you a message a little closer to the day, and it would be an honor to sit in for a song or two with you guys. :cool:
 #124670  by tcsned

Right on! Gillies is an acoustic gig btw I usually bring 2 nice acoustics to those.
 #124746  by willmusic

Howdy and welcome! I'm from Richmond and played in Wake of the Flood for 4 years. Had a regular monthly gig at Cary St Cafe for a while, seen you guys on the schedule before. Our bass player's seen you a good few times as well, always good things to say. We're gonna play a few last gigs between now and June but circumstances/differences had us pretty much broken up as of last November. The last shows are gonna be a friend's wedding, and another couple to say goodbye to our guitar player Ryan who's going away to grad school. Even forfeited our NYE 12/13 show and spot at Camp Barefoot '13. But the wife and I are still performing as a duo, myself solo, and we've already gotten the ball rolling on the next Dead band. Can't stop, no sir. Would love to come and see you guys sometime. Awesome havin you aboard!