#124313  by lunchbox

does anybody want to have a discussion about some morning dew? under the tab there's not too much information on various aspects of Garcia and bobs work, just the major rift. I believe the key is in G major but I'm not 100 percent sure. anybody have any information or ideas on leads soloing or weirs rhythm work? anything anyone else wants to add or talk about? I think there's a lot of cool ideas between 72 and 74 that come about in the song.
 #124314  by gr8fullfred

What I always thought was amazing about Morning Dew, it that it is almost the same song as I know you Rider, only slower.
 #124316  by lunchbox

I agree that's pretty cool, I've noticed a few songs the boys do from the early years that seen very similar to one another, via structure, tempo, etc. I guess it's because there old folk/blues songs done grateful :-)
 #124317  by Rusty the Scoob

It's another one of those songs that makes more sense in Jerry's world than a first-year theory class.

I'd call it one sharp with D being the tonal center, the harmony is all built around D mixolydian. There are different ways to name or notate that concept, some would put it in D Major and put natural signs in front of every C, that's the easiest way to do it and stick with traditional theory. Or you could just write it in G and expect your player to play the notes as written without thinking about them.

There are hints of D Dorian as well, specifically when it goes to F.
 #124318  by Tennessee Jedi

I love the fast tremolo ( ? ) strumming at the end Jerry frequently did.
" I guess it doesnt matter any wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy "
:-)
 #124319  by myoung6923

Rusty the Scoob wrote:It's another one of those songs that makes more sense in Jerry's world than a first-year theory class.

I'd call it one sharp with D being the tonal center, the harmony is all built around D mixolydian. There are different ways to name or notate that concept, some would put it in D Major and put natural signs in front of every C, that's the easiest way to do it and stick with traditional theory. Or you could just write it in G and expect your player to play the notes as written without thinking about them.

Yep - I think of it as D mixolydian and then D dorian when it gets to the F. Also, very much like Rider.
 #124322  by Pete B.

lunchbox wrote: ...under the tab there's not too much information...
I posted this in another thread a while back:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=864&hilit=morning+dew
[cut & paste]

Hey Gang,
Hey grab a guitar and give this two-note Morning Dew Walk-up/down exersize a shot.
You know what it is supposed to sound like, so play the right/left hand parts in a Jerry/Phil-ee manner, like with a deliberate pause between each group of notes on lines 1 and 3, and quicker on lines 2 and 4.
You can re-arrange/change it as you hear fit, 'just a fun way to play both parts as a solo.
Lines 1 and 3 are counterpoint.
Lines 2 and 4 are octave and inverted root/3rd.
End with a big open D chord.

E|---------------------------
B|---------------------------
G|-----------------------2--
D|--0----2----4----5-------
A|--5----3----2-------------
E|------------------3----2--

E|-----------------------------
B|--1----0----1----2----(3)--
G|----------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|--3----2----3----4----(5)--
E|-----------------------------

E|-------------2----3----5--
B|--3----5-----------------
G|--------------------------
D|--------------------------
A|--5----3----2------------
E|------------------3----2--

E|--8----7----8----9----10--------2--
B|----------------------------------3--
G|----------------------------------2--
D|----------------------------------0--
A|--7----6----7----8----9------------
E|-------------------------------------

Play along with Jer and Phil starting at 5min:30sec:

Oh Brother...
Did ya hear the "Nazareth" Youtube of Morning Dew?
 #124341  by easytoslip

Rusty the Scoob wrote:It's another one of those songs that makes more sense in Jerry's world than a first-year theory class.

This is exactly what I was looking for at Foolish Heart discussion/jam thread. Dan, do Foolish Heart too, I'll buy you a Sierra Nevada next time I see you.
 #124392  by ugly rumor

Omni, Atlanta, 12-2-73, fantastic Phil, 'nuff said