#123997  by eric

Here's s a new pedalboard I've been messing around with. It's just a dry-fit so far, I haven't even sanded anything yet. It's curly cherry and maple. The flat black of pedaltrain just wasn't doing it for me anymore, so I decided to spice things up during my winter hibernation. I'm going to TransTint Vintage Amber Dye the whole unit and then a few coats of Waterlox Tung-Oil (amazing stuff) should do it.

There's basically 2 loops, with a volume pedal in between, that way the 1st loop sees a full consistent signal, and the 2nd loop is dynamic based on the volume pedal.
GTR> Waldo Buffer > Loop 1 > Visual Volume > Loop 2

I'll be adding a POG to replace my OC-2. Also adding a second OD to stack after the Earth Drive but before the Comp, and Delay is last . That will be it for analog pedals, and then I'm going to throw an M9 with dual exp pedals on my pedaltrain for another separate loop, it will be the perfect size.

Any suggestions for a 2nd low-gain OD? I was thinking a Timmy, or a MP Sweet Honey. Any non-Jer recommendations that you guys think will work well with these type of rigs?

Usaully my iPhone takes sweet pics, but these came out pretty bad for whatever reason.

Last edited by eric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #124006  by cmc64

I have the TC Electronics PolyTune as well. My favorite tuner ever. A friend of mine who went acoustic gave me a bunch of his old effects and one of them was a Boss TU-2 and after the PolyTune that thing borders on useless. GREAT tuner. If any of you out there are using a stompbox tuner, get one. It simply does not get more accurate than the PolyTune. He also gave me a modified Mu-Tron Bi-Phase footpedal - it can now work as a volume pedal or an expression pedal for two separate effects. I just need the correct power connector and it is one weird one I have not seen before. Oh, and it seems that I now have three MXR Distortion+ pedals - so the 1978 Block may be going up for sale.....

Damn, forgive me. BEAUTIFUL pedal board. I need to get my act together - mine is comprised from old stuff cobbled together from around the house.
 #124036  by jeager

Tuner I recently added is the Peterson Strobo stomp. Its may be the best "effect" i have ever added, wicked accurate and since my new axe has the Buzz F tuning system I needed the Peterson which has a special mode for that system. It also has modes for a variety of different stringed instruments (acoustic vs electric gtr, banjo, mando etc) that apply small offsets which really seem to work for getting cords that usually sound sour to sound significantly more in tune.
 #124037  by eric

jeager wrote: my new axe has the Buzz F tuning system
Always been curious about that...Overall, do you think it's worth the difference between standard tuning?
 #124047  by barefootdave

Re the non Jerry low gain drive pedal: I have had a zen drive for a couple of years and really love it.

They call it "Dumble in a box"
 #124060  by Jon S.

There's inexpensive magic in the Rat for low gain sounds (WARNING! If you're the type who really does believe in "magic," IGNORE THE 1ST OF THE 2 PICS THAT FOLLOW! :smile: ). I can tell you that but I know, you won't believe it unless you hear it for yourself. So borrow one, dime the volume, bring the distortion up to just above unity, set the filter to balance out the overall EQ from how the pedal interacts with your rig, and you'll enjoy what you'll hear. 8) Oh, and there's several good low-gain Rat demos on YouTube.

#124210  by jeager

Eric ... Delayed response herer... I have been very happy with the BF tuning system. I have played starts most of the time when not playing acoustic and no matter how the intonation is tweaked I find certain cords pretty sour. Same on Gibson scale guitars but it seems to be other cords that offend me. No matter what we do we are making compromises wit regard to intonation... I'm sure you are aware of all this. Anyway Andrew Olson did the work for me when he jerrified my start and I love it. It is definitely a significant improvement... The guitar plays in tune better than any I have had.

The Peterson stomp and strobo clip both work great on standard guitars too... They have modes for electric vs acoustic that apparently offset the pitches by little bit to help compensate for the inherent limitations in each type of guitar, banjo, mandolin whatever. I'm thinking of getting rid of my pedal board and going the fractal route but I will have to keep my Peterson tuner.
 #124217  by zambiland

cmc64 wrote:I have the TC Electronics PolyTune as well. My favorite tuner ever. A friend of mine who went acoustic gave me a bunch of his old effects and one of them was a Boss TU-2 and after the PolyTune that thing borders on useless. GREAT tuner. If any of you out there are using a stompbox tuner, get one. It simply does not get more accurate than the PolyTune.

They are OK tuners, but actually it does get a lot better than that for accuracy (ergonomics are a matter of opinion, thus not subject to objective analysis). The Peterson tuners are much more accurate, even the clip-on, but even more accurate than that by an order of magnitude are the Turbo Tuners. They are just insanely quick and dead on accurate.

http://turbo-tuner.com/