Chat about Equipment Info
 #123606  by TI4-1009

#123614  by Pete B.

I heard a story from a Nashville source, that someone once went up to Chet Atkins during a show and said... "Hey Chet, That guitar sounds really great!"...
As the story goes.. Chet held both arms/hands straight out in front of himself, and said... "Oh Yeah?... How does it sound now???".
:hail:
 #123618  by mgbills

I'm working on a new product. "Hands of Jerry!"
It'll be followed by "Voice of Billy Holiday."

Imagine that...You could have both! Imagine Lady Day singing Althea....
"I toooold AltheA ...I waaaaaaaaaas feeeeeeeeeeelin' lost."

Oh yea. That'll be a great seller. Let me have my brain back from constantly wresting my guitar.
 #123620  by Smolder

The tone is in the hands debate on other forums always cracks me up. I sound like me (for better or worse) no matter the gear.
 #123649  by aiq

I have always felt the tone quest is not so much to get a sound but to find gear you are comfortable with. Andrew is Jerryfying an instrument for me not because I want the Jerry sound, it's because from reading this board and others I have come to believe that set up has great flexibility and possibilities.
 #123651  by Smolder

I've never wanted to clone Jerry's tone or play dead music note for note.. but Jerry's tone (along with Duane's) were core to my understanding of what a guitar could and should sound like. It's an incredibly important reference point as I have rigs that do both (duane and jerry).

I spend nearly as much time reading, listening and crafting the gear as playing. I never wanted to be a dude with great gear and no chops... but equally disappointing would be to have chops and sound like crap. Some days I have more time to play... others not so much... so it's a delicate balancing act. I doubt I'll ever be satisfied with either.
 #123656  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:I heard a story from a Nashville source, that someone once went up to Chet Atkins during a show and said... "Hey Chet, That guitar sounds really great!"...
As the story goes.. Chet held both arms/hands straight out in front of himself, and said... "Oh Yeah?... How does it sound now???".
:hail:
THAT IS AWESOME!!
 #123659  by gmchart

It was pretty humbling the day I realized that Bobby could play my rig and sound like Bobby, and I could play his and sound like me. But since then, I've also come to terms with the fact that I'm a gear head. That's OK. I'm not blowin' the rent check. (damn that Irish Catholic guilt) Shouldn't have been that surprised, 8 flyrods and 3or4 shotguns should have been a tip. Researching, collecting, putting different parts together makes me happy. But I do have a sign up in my practice area-----You can't buy chops--PLAY.
 #123679  by TI4-1009

gmchart wrote: But I do have a sign up in my practice area-----You can't buy chops--PLAY.
I need one of those too. :oops: