#123573  by guitarcats

I have done some searching but would like more input from MC users. I just lost a Ebay auction for a MC50 but I am looking at a MC2100. I am a hobby garage player only and wanted to get opinions on my MC choice. Should I try for the MC2100 or do you think that it would be too much and just keep trying for a MC50. By the way I will be getting a SMS and already have a 2X12 with JBL E120 speakers. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by guitarcats on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #123574  by Smolder

i have an mc50 and can't imagine what to do with a 2100. my mac is typically at half way, with the SMS at about 9 o'clock.
 #123578  by Jon S.

I was, until several days ago, where you are now. I went with an MC50. I think among the biggest mistake we guitars make is buying amps far more powerful than we can reasonably use. A 20 lb. amp that gets around 67-75 watts before clipping is frankly enough for virtually anywhere I play and for most others, too.
 #123581  by guitarcats

Jon S. wrote:I was, until several days ago, where you are now. I went with an MC50. I think among the biggest mistake we guitars make is buying amps far more powerful than we can reasonably use. A 20 lb. amp that gets around 67-75 watts before clipping is frankly enough for virtually anywhere I play and for most others, too.
Yeah thats what I was thinking too but wanted to get some more input. I think I will hold out for a MC50.
 #123582  by ccw3432

The MC50s come up on ebay pretty frequently and the pricing tends to fluctuate a little bit. You'll typically get a much better price if you get one that isn't perfect cosmetically. It will pack plenty of power too.
 #123583  by tcsned

I've got an MC2100 and I love it but I've maybe been in one or two gigs where an MC50 wouldn't have done the trick. Though if you want to crank it up, the 2100 will effing rock. I just got a Marshall preamp and have been playing with that through the Mac ands almost as cool as the SMS :)

The weight ain't that bad though. I don't recommend lifting it from the ground but I set up so it goes from the front seat of the truck straight to the speaker it sits on.
 #123593  by Jon S.

tcsned wrote:I've got an MC2100 and I love it but I've maybe been in one or two gigs where an MC50 wouldn't have done the trick.
And for those, that's where you can mic the MC50's cab (or tweed Champ, BF Deluxe Reverb, etc.) and run it into the mains.
 #123594  by tcsned

Jon S. wrote:
tcsned wrote:I've got an MC2100 and I love it but I've maybe been in one or two gigs where an MC50 wouldn't have done the trick.
And for those, that's where you can mic the MC50's cab (or tweed Champ, BF Deluxe Reverb, etc.) and run it into the mains.
Oh it was mic'd - just competing with others stage volume on a pretty large stage :-)
 #123601  by mgbills

When I first found this forum, I went to Portland Oregon & found an MC50 in a really cool junk shop call "Really Good Stuff." Weird place. Lots of old antiques, movie projectors, some audio, & some well used gigging equipment. I passed on that $200 Mc50. Still wish I hadn't.

I did find a 2100 for about $300. Glad I have it. Freeeeeekin' heavy. 65lbs sounds light, but you can barely get your fingers under the thing and it's dead weight. In a rack rig without roadies...Ug. Drives the home stereo perfectly. It's a strange description, but it fills our house with sound without being loud.

My rig has an Mc250 now. It's still too much for 1 guy. Mc250, SMS, GCX, Furman, Pedal drawer. Easier carry with 2 people.
50 McIntosh Watts is loud! I don't play out much, and it's usually small spaces, but I've never really cranked the thing. Like to!

I'll eventually find another Mc50. Watch CL. They're typically cheaper there. Single Mc50's can be reasonable on Ebay as well.
 #123664  by mijknahs

guitarcats wrote:Yeah thats what I was thinking too but wanted to get some more input. I think I will hold out for a MC50.

You could get an MC250. More of those were made than the MC50s. Basically like having 2 MC50s. Just use one channel in stereo mode.

I have some clips playing an outdoor gig with an SMS, MC50 and 1x JBL E120:

http://archive.org/details/SpidergawdAn ... nJune42010

Regards,
Jim
 #123678  by Jon S.

Enjoying your first vid now. Sweet tones indeed! :-)