Chat about Equipment Info
 #123513  by jalevinemd

Here's a few pics of my Walker Special. I've had it now for just over three years. The wood combination is rosewood/purpleheart/maple/purpleheart/rosewood. It's got two Dimarzio Super II's as well as an SD single coil in the middle. As for the electronics, they're fairly standard with just a few extras - a push pull tap on the tone knob, a Cutler preamp for up to 10dB boost and a switch that will turn on the neck pickup regardless of the pickup selector switch. There's no OBEL, though in retrospect, I should've had it built with one. An amazing instrument! I can coax just about any tone I need out of this guitar. With the pickups split, they draw from the thick maple core to give me a very convincing Strat sound that I can't get from my other tapped guitars (which all have mahogany or koa cores). Untapped, they draw from the thick rosewood top and back to get me into Les Paul heaven! His luthier skills aside, Scott is also the nicest person with whom I've completed a custom build. He's truly a good soul and that energy emanates from this instrument every time it's played.

#123522  by jalevinemd

I play through either a PRS Original Sewell or a '78 Hiwatt DR103, both with their respective matching 4x12 cabs.
 #123525  by playingdead

Beautiful. You should talk to Scott about his new booster circuit, it gives you an adjustable volume control for the boost which is very useful, as well.

I love my Walkers.
 #123527  by Utah Joe

Scott is doing a build for me right now. Did he fabricate your tailpiece or did you get it from someone else?
 #123533  by tcsned

dang! that is a sweet guitar. Your's too Vic. Scott does some of the best work out there. [envy emoticon would go here]
 #123545  by jalevinemd

Yeah...I've got the volume for the boost. A very nice feature, indeed.

As for the tailpiece. It was one of the last that Jack of Roses did. I love his W tailpiece. It wasn't available when we did the build. Otherwise I would've definitely gone that route. I might change the tailpiece at some point. Aesthetically, I've always preferred them to be slightly wider than the bridge.
 #140096  by barefootdave

Just bought the Special that Jeager had on eBay (thanks Jim!), should arrive tomorrow in time for the long weekend. Very excited!

It has a CAE preamp (sorry Waldo) and OBEL, but no middle pickup. May pave the way for a custom build w/ Scott in the future, I am currently toying with what to get myself for the 50th birthday, which is now only 22 months away.

This one is SN 2112, which I think means God wants me to bust out "La Villa Strangiato" on it... :shock:
 #140115  by shadowboxer

barefootdave wrote:Just bought the Special that Jeager had on eBay (thanks Jim!), should arrive tomorrow in time for the long weekend. Very excited!

It has a CAE preamp (sorry Waldo) and OBEL, but no middle pickup. May pave the way for a custom build w/ Scott in the future, I am currently toying with what to get myself for the 50th birthday, which is now only 22 months away.

This one is SN 2112, which I think means God wants me to bust out "La Villa Strangiato" on it... :shock:

That would the the sunburst semi-hollow that was listed for $3000? If so, nice pick up. Seemed like a very fair price on a very pristine looking used guitar. Please post some thoughts on it once you get it.
 #140144  by barefootdave

Yes, it's the sunburst and it arrived late on Wednesday.

First thoughts:

This particular guitar is definitely not a Jerry Garcia guitar but does have a fantastic tone. It is very lightweight, and the neck feels spectacular.

My first reaction to it after playing for about 5 minutes was "this doesn't sound like Jerry, it sounds like ME". It has an OBEL which I have not tried yet, still just using the three-way switch settings and loving it. I haven't even tried it through a serious rig yet, just through a Twin and Matchless model, and also through a Princeton Reverb here in my office. I have yet to get a single note that doesn't sound inspiring.

I have several other dual HB guitars: a Les Paul (w DiMarzio Steve Morse PU), Robben Ford Custom from Fender (Duncan JB & 59), ES-175 (whatever Gibson puts in those), and a 1995 PRS CU22 (McCarty PU) and the Walker is crisper and clearer than any of them, I would guess in part due to the CAE buffer. Scott talks about creating guitars (in a video I saw online) where each string rings out with it's own voice in a chord and that does seem to happen here, the chords ring out in a way that I don't remember hearing in my other guitars..

Late yesterday I plugged my Tiger back in just to compare, and the longer scale length and Super 2 do have a more "authentic" JG tone, with that high end zing and a bit more snap on the lower strings. This morning I am back to the Walker and just so impressed by the tone and feel. For some reason it inspired me to play the opening notes to "Pinball Wizard" and also "Elizabeth Reed" just now, haven't done either of those tunes in years and they sound delicious.

I intentionally did not post about this guitar yesterday so as not to gush too much with the joy of a new ax, but I do believe we have a winner here.

:-)