When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #123329  by jeffm725

gr8fullfred wrote:
A friend of mine owns 2 1973 strats and they are so fun to play. They are the "slabs" , seriously the strat weighs over 14 lbs!!!
No way could any strat weigh over 14lbs. BS

According to Wiki:
In terms of weight, everything included made Tiger tip the scales at 13½ pounds.
You think a stock 73 strat weighs more than "Tiger"?
I don't think, I KNOW for a fact that (certain, not all) stock 73 Strats are as heavy as Tiger.I have played it I have lifted it. And the reason I know is that I was incredulous too. A great New England Guitarist, Brett Connors came to one of my gigs one night to sit in, I pulled out my MC500 (which is NOT a light guitar) and someone else commented on its weight and then Brett says I bet my strat is heavier" and I called Bullshit and then had my mind blown. This made the MC500 feel like a feather. He loved his so much, he found another identical one and now owns two of them. They are hard to find.
As far as I Know the ULTRA heavy ones were only offered in Natural finish Ash and ONLY made in 73 and 74. It's not a pretty cosmetic guitar, like I called it before its a frickin' SLAB. But it sure sounds great. I don't know if the one in the Auction is a heavy one or not. I suspect not or seller would've mentioned it.

Here is a shot of Murawski playing Brett's slab.
 #123399  by Rusty the Scoob

Natural ash was also an extremely common finish for Fender at the time. The local vintage gear shop in St. Paul constantly had Ash Fenders for $700-800 back in the early 90's, both guitars and basses. If I'd only known. :?
 #123504  by Grant

playingdead wrote:Huge difference between making a guitar for a rock star and having a rock star order and actually play the guitar you made.

Phiga proudly proclaims on its website about the "Casta" guitar:

"Perhaps reminiscent of Cripe's work and something out of Jules Verne's "One Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", the "Casta" (named after Laeticia Casta) made its mark. Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) was the lucky owner of my first prototype."

Whether or not Bob Weir actually felt lucky and ever played the guitar, or whether his staff "cast" it into the nearest Dumpster remains unclear. Nonetheless, Phiga "made" a guitar for Bob Weir.

http://www.philgawen.com/hyb5.htm
Yeah fair enough, although I tend to think that if a notable musician owns a particular guitar but has never played it in public, it doesn't really benifet the builder to have it known. If anything, it could give some a negative impression of the product.
 #123505  by Grant

jeffm725 wrote:
gr8fullfred wrote:
A friend of mine owns 2 1973 strats and they are so fun to play. They are the "slabs" , seriously the strat weighs over 14 lbs!!!
No way could any strat weigh over 14lbs. BS

According to Wiki:
In terms of weight, everything included made Tiger tip the scales at 13½ pounds.
You think a stock 73 strat weighs more than "Tiger"?
I don't think, I KNOW for a fact that (certain, not all) stock 73 Strats are as heavy as Tiger.I have played it I have lifted it. And the reason I know is that I was incredulous too. A great New England Guitarist, Brett Connors came to one of my gigs one night to sit in, I pulled out my MC500 (which is NOT a light guitar) and someone else commented on its weight and then Brett says I bet my strat is heavier" and I called Bullshit and then had my mind blown. This made the MC500 feel like a feather. He loved his so much, he found another identical one and now owns two of them. They are hard to find.
As far as I Know the ULTRA heavy ones were only offered in Natural finish Ash and ONLY made in 73 and 74. It's not a pretty cosmetic guitar, like I called it before its a frickin' SLAB. But it sure sounds great. I don't know if the one in the Auction is a heavy one or not. I suspect not or seller would've mentioned it.

Here is a shot of Murawski playing Brett's slab.
Okay, but heavier than Tiger? I'm very very skeptical. I mean I've never held a strat that was heavier than an LP, let alone Tiger.