"I have no real proof except the sound, once you hear it you will Know."
What does that mean? :-)
 #123227  by Grant

tcsned wrote:Skeptical.

"I have no real proof except the sound, once you hear it you will Know."
What does that mean? :-)
Yeah, that's the clincher.
 #123235  by playingdead

Huge difference between making a guitar for a rock star and having a rock star order and actually play the guitar you made.

Phiga proudly proclaims on its website about the "Casta" guitar:

"Perhaps reminiscent of Cripe's work and something out of Jules Verne's "One Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", the "Casta" (named after Laeticia Casta) made its mark. Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) was the lucky owner of my first prototype."

Whether or not Bob Weir actually felt lucky and ever played the guitar, or whether his staff "cast" it into the nearest Dumpster remains unclear. Nonetheless, Phiga "made" a guitar for Bob Weir.

http://www.philgawen.com/hyb5.htm
 #123237  by jeffm725

lots of hyperbole there, but a 73 strat on its own Kicks ass (love the big headstock) and this one looks to be in great shape. 3000 grand might be a bit high but not crazy crazy. excellent condition 73 necks go for +1000 bucks on their own.
A friend of mine owns 2 1973 strats and they are so fun to play. They are the "slabs" , seriously the strat weighs over 14 lbs!!!
 #123245  by keirweir

playingdead wrote:Huge difference between making a guitar for a rock star and having a rock star order and actually play the guitar you made.

Phiga proudly proclaims on its website about the "Casta" guitar:

"Perhaps reminiscent of Cripe's work and something out of Jules Verne's "One Thousand Leagues Under The Sea", the "Casta" (named after Laeticia Casta) made its mark. Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) was the lucky owner of my first prototype."

Whether or not Bob Weir actually felt lucky and ever played the guitar, or whether his staff "cast" it into the nearest Dumpster remains unclear. Nonetheless, Phiga "made" a guitar for Bob Weir.

http://www.philgawen.com/hyb5.htm

NOT THE CROP CIRCLE INLAY!!!!!!
 #123246  by gr8fullfred

A friend of mine owns 2 1973 strats and they are so fun to play. They are the "slabs" , seriously the strat weighs over 14 lbs!!!
No way could any strat weigh over 14lbs. BS

According to Wiki:
In terms of weight, everything included made Tiger tip the scales at 13½ pounds.
You think a stock 73 strat weighs more than "Tiger"?
 #123249  by Mr.Burns

It's probably a fine instrument, the guy was just disappointed to find out it wasn't worth as much as he thought and tried to embellish its provenance, hoping to lure a rube. I think it speaks volumes about the general population's (or at least this guy's) attitude toward Heads.

0 bids. If there's any justice it'll stay that way.
 #123277  by playingdead

The problem with that particular 73 Strat is actually its color ... book value on a 1973 natural Strat in "low excellent - high excellent" condition is $2300-2900. If it were a "common color" -- i.e., black, white -- it would be worth $4000-$5000. If it were in a rare color -- sonic blue, seafoam green -- it would be worth $5000-6000. A garden variety sunburst? $2900-3600. Walnut? $2800-3500.

In vintage Strats, color matters. And natural is not a desirable shade, apparently -- probably because there's not much aesthetically pleasing about the wood (see figured top Les Pauls for the opposite effect). And people don't typically get anywhere near book value for guitars on eBay.