#117142  by jerrys.kids

I have an e120 that seems to buzz a little in the sustain if I play above the 12th fret? Almost sounds like a snare drum buzz. It is in a blues jr. so it isn't being pushed super hard or anything. There is no rub, and the cone looks fine? Below the 12th it seems fine. Will a cork gasket help? It just has rubber now.
 #117144  by Tennessee Jedi

jerrys.kids wrote:I have an e120 that seems to buzz a little in the sustain if I play above the 12th fret? Almost sounds like a snare drum buzz. It is in a blues jr. so it isn't being pushed super hard or anything. There is no rub, and the cone looks fine? Below the 12th it seems fine. Will a cork gasket help? It just has rubber now.
Hey man
Maybe your guitar needs a set up ?
Going thru a similar thing myself .....
I had thought I had blown 2 Webers but in fact my guitar just needed a set up and fret level ....
Buzzing has gone away .... I was sure it was the speakers !
:-)
 #117146  by jerrys.kids

Possible. It doesn't happen with my practice amp though, or at lower volume. I should get a pro setup anyhoo. Didnt even think of the guitar. I will try another guitar. Thanks -Chris
 #117178  by jerrys.kids

Argh. Tried another guitar and still have some buzz. It seems worse with the reverb turned up. Gonna open this thing up and take a look see.
 #117258  by WildEye

I don't know if I'm in the same boat but I'm getting a similar thing but my main problem is it's sounding real muddy...
 #117260  by jerrys.kids

doesnt really sound like the same issue. mine is higher on the neck while picking individual notes. sort of a wierd sustain. not clear like lower on the neck, or even at low volumes.
 #122985  by cincinnatiohio

Hey jerrys kids,

I have the same exact problem going on with a k120. When I play anything above the 12th fret on the g,b or high e especially. I had to disconnect it and am only running with one speaker until I can figure it out.

It's not my guitars. The other k120 I have doesn't do it.

Did you ever find an answer to this problem? Thanks!
 #122987  by jerrys.kids

I spun the speaker 180 degrees. It's seemed to help. Good luck.
 #122997  by cincinnatiohio

jerrys.kids wrote:I spun the speaker 180 degrees. It's seemed to help. Good luck.
call me a fool.. but i don't get it. you spun it around? what do you mean?

i found when i took out the speaker and it had some pressure on the back like when it was sitting on the floor or my lap, it seemed to almost go away, but i can not figure this one out and it is drivin me bananas!

thanks!
 #122998  by Smolder

cincinnatiohio wrote:
jerrys.kids wrote:I spun the speaker 180 degrees. It's seemed to help. Good luck.

i found when i took out the speaker and it had some pressure on the back like when it was sitting on the floor or my lap, it seemed to almost go away, but i can not figure this one out and it is drivin me bananas!

thanks!

a buzz is very likely to be dust or something in the groove between the mag and the voice coil. Reorienting it may remove the pressure... or even move it.

There is a guy in california someone referred me to that fixes these issues, I have no experience. If I can find the reference I will pass it along.

Otherwise, the logical long term remedy is a re-cone... dutch at vin-tone or edgewound at upland. I've had great experiences with both.
 #123007  by mijknahs

cincinnatiohio wrote:
Rotated the speaker 180 degress in relation to how it was previously mounted in the cabinet.
 #123042  by cincinnatiohio

Smolder wrote:Rotated the speaker 180 degress in relation to how it was previously mounted in the cabinet.
i realized the foolishness of my question after i posted it... ha!

i was thinking, why would you face the speaker back into the cabinet... what a dummy i am. anyway- thanks for the feedback! i will have to try rotating along the mounting holes and see if it sits somewhere that clears the issue up. certainly better than replacing.
 #123184  by cincinnatiohio

Well, I certainly appreciate people coming back to this thread. I think I'm gonna have to have my speaker checked out. The plus I guess is I have two so for now, the twin will be pushing pretty good into one k120. My new mc250 is currently being serviced so I think I'm going to take the speaker to the same guy.

Almost there.... So close but so far...