#122856  by weshunter

Hey forum -- I'm looking to get my strat Jerry-cized. I want to keep the standard 3 sc thing but use the dimarzio sds-1 in the middle. I assume the best chice for the bridge is the super distortion S. do y'all agree with that? And what is the best option for the neck? Conventional wisdom would say I'd want something with less output than the sds1, right? But what's the Jer-philosophy on the neck pup? I know he's got a HB in there, so it's gonna be higher output than the sds1 in the middle unless I can find a really low output sc- sized HB.

Also, I'm thinking I'll try to wire it where the HB's auto split in the 2 and 4 positions. Is that a sensible thing to do? And I've got a battery box rout on my start body, should I go ahead and put a buffer in there? How hard is that to install?

I'm sure these are noob questions, so thanks in advance for helping me out. Can't wait to get this thing built.
 #122864  by JonnyBoy

There are some other threads that have lots of suggestions for single coil choices. If I was on a strat kick I would be lookin into the Dallen pups. The sound samples sound awesome for the Jerry guys using them. There is also a thread about making a single coil from a super 2 humbucker. Just gotta poke around !! Good luck!
 #122874  by gpilcher2001

The sds1 wont give you the split super 2 tone. I would recomend reading through the jerry tone section of this forum. After that you will probably know what direction you want to go in. The buffer is a great way to go for many on this forum. I personally dig a lot. Especially if you use a few effects. There is also quite a few guys here with the technical knowlege to help you through your installs. A good starting point would be wald-electronics.com and the jerry tone section. Would like to hear back from youafter that read. Greg...
 #122911  by Jon S.

JonnyBoy wrote:There are some other threads that have lots of suggestions for single coil choices. If I was on a strat kick I would be lookin into the Dallen pups. The sound samples sound awesome for the Jerry guys using them. There is also a thread about making a single coil from a super 2 humbucker. Just gotta poke around !! Good luck!
There are 10 different Strat PUPs listed on the D. Allen site - which set for Jerry tone?
 #122921  by jeager

You can get right on it with a strat and the right amp and speaker choice. Most of the time Jerry used the middle pup single coil mode. If you do that and have a clean fender amp (or along those lines) with the bass rolled way down and the treble up you will be getting there. A jbl speaker or similar and you will be there. I went after it from the amp end of the signal chain first and am so happy I did, a stock fender and the right amp and settings gets you most of the way there...have fun its a great jouney
 #123030  by Mr.Burns

I would tend to agree with you about amplifiers, but my Strat copy with DAllens sounds more Jerry-like than I expected, to my surprise. Especially considering the only amp I can play in the house is a cheap Peavey POS. This led me to believe that settings are extremely important, but also that pups are crucial, because my amp/speaker combo sucks and somehow I'm kinda satisfied with the results(for bedroom tone).

That being said, I would also like to say that I will be acquiring a Fender amp and appropriate speaker(s) ASAP, because I do agree with jeager.
 #123045  by weshunter

decided to stick with the pups i have (David Shepherd custom vintage-style) and get a buffer from wald. if i need a pup change down the road, i'll just deal with it then. i'm going to be playing more non-gd music on this thing that gd by a long shot anyway.