#122697  by Winterland

What version of the Q tron gets you the closest to The original Mutron?
There seems to be a few versions and even a micro. Anybody have any input on what is the better of
them.
 #122702  by SYF74

First post ... Just got Qtron+ for Xmas and I can't stop playing it- it's awesome!!! I don't know how you could get any closer to the Mutron sound, other than the real thing. It was just over $150 thru Sweetwater and it was easy to dial up to the Jerry sound that we all know and love. I would recommend it!
 #122705  by TI4-1009

LOTs of threads here on the various Trons- start with a little searching!
 #122715  by mijknahs

Winterland wrote:What version of the Q tron gets you the closest to The original Mutron?
There seems to be a few versions and even a micro. Anybody have any input on what is the better of
them.
I think they're all about the same. You'll can get pretty close to a MuTron. Just get one and you'll see.
 #123411  by Linkslover

I don't think you can isolate the question. It will probably depend on the rest of your rig. I can tell you I recently picked up the Q-tron Micro and while I make no pretense of sounding like Jerry (maybe in another 40 years of practicing, but then I'll be a 100 years old and my fingers won't work or if they do, I won't remember what to play), it does produce a nice Jerry-like effect. I'm sure with the more expensive versions you can refine the effect more precisely, but if you're just wanting to get your feet wet, this isn't a bad place to start for a relatively small investment.
 #123432  by maximinus

I have a Q-Tron+ and it sounds pretty sweet. To be fair though, they aren't just plug and play devices. You can spend a long time just messing around with the things, and they are very sensitive to the original signal - I find I have to max out the signal from the guitar into the box to get it sounding right.

Even when you have the sound right that's only the start of the tonal possibilities. I have a Boss OD-3 and I can't decide wether it sounds better before or after the Q-Tron on the pedal board.

But I can tell you that nothing beats hearing that glorious Dm chord at the start of Shakedown when you get everything dialled in :-)
 #123480  by NSP

If interested, I have a Qtron+ that's been listed in garage sale. I found a nice MuTronIII a while back so I may as well sell the Q .
If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Mu, I'd be perfectly happy with the Qtron, it gets very close.

$125 shipped.