#122034  by GeneralGoldilocks

Hope this works, never posted pics in this forum. He just posted this pic on facebook and was quoted as saying, "It's a 1976 Ibanez 2681 that I gutted and modded .. Active EQ and the lower switch turns that on and off. Top 3 are off, tap, full for the humbuckers middle one is on off for the single coil . Master Volume, master Tone and Master active EQ potsImage
 #122043  by GeneralGoldilocks

That's what I replied to him of facebook! Cowboy up! haven't heard back, heard a rumor he was an engineer for pat metheny awhile ago. DSO had to do some jerry band shows because he was working with metheny a couple years back, as I recall. could all be rumor, though, i have no idea about this guy, just know that he is a bad ass bobby!
 #122047  by tcsned

mkaufman wrote:He has a very impressive Bio, including his work with Metheny.

mk
My Buddy who was an engineer at the Power Station in NYC said that he was well known in that world too.
 #122123  by Mr.Burns

He taped quite a few shows back in the day as well. IMHO he does Bob's knee-lift perfectly, and very well timed. It always makes me smile.
 #122171  by racecar

He is a fabulous player. I have total respect for his musicianship. I learn something everytime I am up close watching him play. I dare say he is a better player than Bobby. Bobby invented "it", but Rob improved "it"
 #122175  by strumminsix

racecar wrote:He is a fabulous player. I have total respect for his musicianship. I learn something everytime I am up close watching him play. I dare say he is a better player than Bobby. Bobby invented "it", but Rob improved "it"
Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. My ears see what you saying. But to my ears, Bobby was always experimenting, figuring what works and why or why not. Where Rob already has that roadmap (from Bobby) so he can play with a level of confidence vs Bobby's level of experimentation.
 #122176  by jester536

Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. My ears see what you saying. But to my ears, Bobby was always experimenting, figuring what works and why or why not. Where Rob already has that roadmap (from Bobby) so he can play with a level of confidence vs Bobby's level of experimentation.
That may be the best description of why the guy who does it first is the better player...very well said Strum.
 #122177  by Tennessee Jedi

jester536 wrote:
That may be the best description of why the guy who does it first is the better player...very well said Strum.
+1
I was just gonna say " B.S.! " to the rob is better than bob thing ..... but Strum nailed it - and without cursing !
:-)
 #122190  by racecar

jester536 wrote:
I don't disagree with this statement. The old is it "live" or is it "memorex" debate.

But today, in my opinion, I believe Rob is playing with more complexity. I see Furthur and I go and see DSO. While I much prefer Furthur, I feel Rob has taken what Bobby has done and expanded on it to some extent, he plays like a younger Bobby in my opinion. I believe he is a student of the original, and in todays day, he is playing better. Anyone spending time watching Rob, can attest that he is absolutely excelling in his role with DSO, I might not like the mannerisms as much, but his playing has been top notch and to me and I think he has played better than Bobby at times.

And I don't subscribe to the "Guy who did it first, is better" logic. So what you are saying is the guy who wrote the song, came up with the lick is always the best at playing it? That doesn't make much sense. As an originality, there is no question . The original is always preferred to the copy. That is not what I was getting at.

I absolutely believe Bobby is the better musician between the two. I am simply saying that I believe Rob is playing better guitar at the moment. My opinion..Which doesn't get you a cup of coffee at starbucks or dunkin donuts. No cursing necessary ;)
 #143230  by kurt eye

I caught DSO at the Lowell Auditorium on December 6, 2014. It was general admission so I stood about 10' from the stage in front of Rob. Lots of shows when I'm not up close I have trouble hearing Rob's guitar. At this show I could hear this guitar perfectly through the monitors. They played a '79 show from New Haven CT. Rob played Cowboy and did some very nice slide on Stagger Lee and Minglewood and his rhythm chops were fantastic. No point to this post other that to say that he's damn good in my book.

#143242  by mkaufman

kurt eye wrote:I caught DSO at the Lowell Auditorium on December 6, 2014. It was general admission so I stood about 10' from the stage in front of Rob. Lots of shows when I'm not up close I have trouble hearing Rob's guitar. At this show I could hear this guitar perfectly through the monitors. They played a '79 show from New Haven CT. Rob played Cowboy and did some very nice slide on Stagger Lee and Minglewood and his rhythm chops were fantastic. No point to this post other that to say that he's damn good in my book.

+1 on all fronts

The Cowboy/Weir's tone is very directional. If you're not standing directly in front, it get's lost. That's why I insist on being mic'd. It's not a volume issue, it's a dispersion issue.

Plus, he has the chops. Best Bobby out there.

btw... nice shot. I need to confirm the switch settings. It looks like he's playing with the neck pickup turned off which is what I noticed last time I saw him. I really need to confirm that the single coil switch is turned on. I just can't remember which position is on/off.

Do you know which song was being played when this picture was taken?

mk