#122044  by BJolley

After debating over amps for some time I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a "scratch & dent" Fender Mustang III for the outstanding price of $214 (including shipping) from American Musical Supply. I've had the amp for 3 days and have yet to locate the alleged scratch or dent giving rise to the discount. It is an amazing amp for the price. 100 watts, 12" Celestion speaker, and on-board effects and amp models. I'm still learning the digital controls but they are fairly user friendly. Though I'm not a metal guy or much of a rocker, Marshall-type modeled presets like "Aussie Rock" encourage smile-worthy AC/DC riffs. Anyway, getting back to Jerry Tone, has anyone out there dialed in a good 80's Jerry Tone through this amp or Fender Fuse software when playing an axe with a split coil Super 2? I assume the 65 Twin model would be the place to start and the user can add tweaks to treb, mid, bass, reverb, gain and other parameters. Or have folks out there found some gold in starting with different model altogether like a '65 Deluxe?
 #122068  by jenkins

I've never used that particular amp but a buddy of mine has one of the new fender digital modeling amps and I was very impressed with it actually.
I was up where he lives and ended up playing a spur of the moment gig using it and a strat and it actually sounded great.
Started with the 65 twin bf added dialed In the tone and the reverb and it sounded great mic'd up through a pa.
His even has a whole slew of effects including envelope filter, did an estimated that sounded awesome on it.

The DSP effects have come a looooong way in the last few years, you won't get a perfect jerry but you can def dial in Jerry on those amps, they're pretty impressive IMO. I thought it was wicked stupid until I actually played one. Lol, shows what I know.
 #122080  by tigger

My clean "Jerry" preset needs work (probably impossible to nail given the speaker), but with the envelope filter/octave pedal models engaged, it's pretty sweet!
Perfect bedroom amp.
 #122091  by JonnyBoy

The blackface setting with treble high, mids about 6 and the bass very low will be a good starting point. Address it like any other amp, but fine tuning takes your ears for sure. I have a gdec 30 but I blew the speaker so don't use it much anymore. I loved mine because of the effects ready to use and the recording capabilities. You can lay down tracks of dead tunes and practice all day. Mine sounded great at bedroom level, but I could never get a good sound gigging though. maybe they solved that issue with the mustang.
 #140200  by dleonard

Has the Mustang 3 kept you all interested since this thread was born? I have been looking to get a Blues Jr. but have found one of these in my area for half the price
 #140202  by tcsned

I've got a 65 Twin Reissue and it's a fine amp. It stays home now since I gig with a Mac/SMS rig now. JB's setting recommendations are right on. Are you playing at home or playing small venues? If so the Twin may be hard to rein in. 100w of tube power is a lot. The Deluxe might be more balanced power-wise.
 #140209  by joethepainter

Here's my Jerry settings on my Fender Mustang Floor (which is the same as a Mustang V1 amp)...these are my DI settings (straight to board). I hook up my unit to my laptop via USB, and then use the Fuse software to tweak settings. I start with a '65 Fender Twin Reverb, gain 3, vol 8, treb 9, mid 6, bass 2, reverb 5-6. I have a stereo tape delay and spring reverb in the rack loop. Delay settings can vary, but this is a good starting point...level 5, delay time 3, feedback 1, flutter 2, separation 0, bright 5. The reverb level is controlled by the knob on the amp, all other reverb settings are decay 11:00, dwell 9:00, diffusion 10:00, tone 2:00. So, after the paramaters are set, I saved it as Jerry Twin. The Floor has an effects loop that I use for a q-tron and Boss overdrive. In addition, the Floor has a stompbox mode, so I can switch in the onboard phaser or octave with just two taps, without affecting any of the other settings. It's a versatile unit, gig-worthy, and gives you acceptable tones for cheap. As a rehearsal/jam tool, it's invaluable. It's just so easy to plug in and go...a guitar case and backpack? OK! My SMS/Carvin rack is rivaling it on the tone vs. portability front, though...

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I don't use the Floor to knock Jerry's tone (as if that has to be said!), and I'm not saying, "Hey, this sounds just like Jer!" because it doesn't. What it does is gives me an approximation of that tone, to be used in casual jams, rehearsals, smaller gigs, etc...all in all, a great music making tool...lots of other options this way, like the Line6 HD500X, the Boss GT-100, etc... that are more capable and better sounding, if that's the path you're going down...
 #140213  by aiq

I have a Mustang II, 40 watt model. Great home amp, I have used it at rehearsal with the trio but not really gig worthy.

40 watt SS is very did from 40 watt tube!

Edit: I did drop a Jensen in that I took from my DRRI when I put the JBL in the Deluxe. Warmer, less ice picky.
Last edited by aiq on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #140224  by tigger

I don't know if the V2 amps are different, but I found that using Fuse to crank up the bias results in MUCH better tone.
 #140232  by dleonard

I bought the Mustang 3 last night for $150 then went right to rehearsal. Thought it sounded great. I had to eq alot of the presets but it is without question worth the $. We do country-ish originals and for a solo I switched to Thrash Metal. :cool: Amp is great for that too. ha!
 #140239  by joethepainter

dleonard wrote:I bought the Mustang 3 last night for $150 then went right to rehearsal. Thought it sounded great. I had to eq alot of the presets but it is without question worth the $. We do country-ish originals and for a solo I switched to Thrash Metal. :cool: Amp is great for that too. ha!
:cool:
 #140672  by Eyesoftheworld

My fender Mustang 3 Jerry Tone I made is this:
Amp - 65 Twin:
gain 4, vol 7,treb 5, mid 8, bass 4 and reverb 3.5
with a cab of 4 x 12s
for effects in the preset I put a tape delay with just a little bit of delay just enough to fill it out. and this effect is put before the amp.
after the amp and looped back in is a fender 65 spring verb.

It gets pretty close for a modeling amp.