When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #121754  by jackr

I know this is Dead forum but you got to give Brubeck some props! He was a legend for sure. Any videos around of Jerry covering some Brubeck tunes?
 #121755  by jester536

Agree with giving props to Brubeck...never saw it stated categorically...but I always assumed that the Dead experimented with time signatures in large part due to Brubeck's Time Out album...that's entirely what that album was based on. A jazz man all his life and lived to damn near 92...incredible.
 #121757  by strumminsix

Sad. I ironically read on his wiki page how he fought with a teacher as he didn't think every note had to count. Interesting how diametrically different that is from JG.
 #121759  by jackr

Not that i am even remotely qualified to argue with Brubeck but aside from a grace note how is it that every note shouldn't count? You can change time signatures from measure to measure if you so desired but they still have to count. I must be missing something.
 #121761  by TI4-1009

Not really sad- he was like 92?? A great life lived.
 #121762  by tcsned

Almost done listening to Time Out now. This was one of my dad's favorite records. I still have his copy, I believe he bought it in '59 when it was released. One of those soundtracks to my childhood things. We occasionally play "Take 5" it's a fun tune. Maybe I'll have to break it out at my next gig . . . I hope he's somewhere playing with Paul Desmond now