When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #121574  by DenverEd

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark....

"An unfortunate but well understood fact of life for the contemporary Deadhead is the ubiquity of piss-poor cover bands. There are many categories into which these imposters may fit. On one side of the spectrum you’ve got your well-meaning long-hairs. Troupes of patchouli drenched neo-hipsters convening in moldy garages, stoning themselves into smiley oblivion, noodling through limp-wristed takes on “Fire on the Mountain”, “The Other One”, “I Know You Rider,” etc."

http://www.c-ville.com/dark-star-orches ... LZi7Ib4Igr
 #121576  by tigerstrat

OK, we've all known (and been) of the first variety at some point or another... but who is he referring to with the next part?
"Then, more sinister, are the capitalist-minded poseur types. Those nine to five-ers who’d love nothing more than to cash in on the upcoming generation of post-Jerry heads."
HUH?
 #121581  by Smolder

seems to me like there are:

tribute bands
dead cover bands
cover bands that play some dead
bands that are inspired by the dead stylistically and do their own thing

If it's me, I'm not trying to play note for note like (anyone frankly) the band did. but that's just me.
Last edited by Smolder on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #121582  by playingdead

The solution, obviously, is to become a Dark Star Orchestra tribute band.

Which is what we would have done, except our rhythm guitarist was a member of DSO.

We did, however, discuss naming the band Dork Store Orchestra.
 #121584  by TI4-1009

Too downstate.

"Dork Store Jeeeeeerrrreeeeee!"
 #121585  by gr8fulbluz

I did Not read the full article just skimmed it. but...
"Then, more sinister, are the capitalist-minded poseur types. Those nine to five-ers who’d love nothing more than to cash in on the upcoming generation of post-Jerry heads."
Where are these sorts cashing in playing? And who are they getting to cash buy their craft? If it is a blues bar or small live music venue, like I am accustomed to, the only ones cashing in are the venue owners. It seems the article is talking DSO? that is only one group doing a very special thing and I don't think they cash in, they should get paid for what they do (not quite poseurs when they are famous for what they do, quite a generalization)... for some of the others...(let's follow the cigar smoke)

If you form a group and play out for hire, Lets face it, you play to sell drinks. You aint gonna get rich quick, If you bring in the punters you get the gig.. . . And when I am in a small venue supporting a Dead - like band or other style (i like irish pub bands)
I drink and buy food even if it aint good, Otherwise they will not be back. I have seen alot of good player go and i miss them.

For example, I go to see our Chuckles' band "the Road", They play tunes i dig, it is fun, they are my age, I relate and they are really good. Most of the time thier gig is walking distance to my house, sure, but i have gone an extra road trip to give support. I hope that support will translate to future bands which i might like to see, cause i dig the tunes. And If you are a deadhead the future of dead related bands is important, cashing in or not. The live dead experience was part of what IT was. The community, the show outside/inside of the show.

Most time you play at the bar owners discretion or you don't play. Most people I know play in biker bars, it is the blues, hard rock, southern rock, classic rock you know the thing, they are not cashing in, who is cashing in Venue owners. Just the way it is. The bar wants Van Halen they get it.

You guys who play GD tribute or cover, Please keep on keeping on I would miss it if it were gone.
So sorry for the rant. Sore spot for me.

Post unrelated side note: upcoming generation of post-Jerry heads!! That is great news! They will be musicians of a great accomplishment and style. Imagine if we had the internet in the 80's. RUKind rocks!
 #121587  by Smolder

gr8fulbluz wrote: And If you are a deadhead the future of dead related bands is important, cashing in or not. The live dead experience was part of what IT was. The community, the show outside/inside of the show.
This

Being old enough to have experience the 74, 77, red rocks, and other eras, this is very special music and was a really special scene. Important enough to record, preserve, duplicate, and extend.

I tried to edit my previous post... absolutely no disrespect to those going note-for-note... It's just not my thing, and frankly, I'm not good enough or disciplined enough. But I'd love it if my three year old could experience music even remotely as powerful, moving, and life shaping.
 #121590  by Chuckles

I've already retired on the massive income I've generated based on Paul's (gr8fulbluz) coming out to see us... :lol:

Nobody would be doing this at most of our levels if it weren't a gas. :smile:
 #121593  by jeffm725

tigerstrat wrote:OK, we've all known (and been) of the first variety at some point or another... but who is he referring to with the next part?
HUH?

What if you fall into both categories, is there a prize? :smile:
 #121596  by Tennessee Jedi

I love playing Dead.
"Its a obsession but its pleasin' "
I'm sure I fall into many of the articles categories.
The make a buck comment doesnt fit me though.
Pay scale not so great plus we hire keys .... its a losing prop for us .... maybe when we get more ex. we can break even ...
Do it for the simple LOVE of the music like the rest of you/us ......
 #121598  by tigerstrat

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this whole article. Nine-to-fivers cashing in.... pshhhhhhhh. :lol: :drink: :D
 #121599  by Dwarf Rat

The better Deadlike offer a more satisfying trip for me. About half of my Dead shows over the 15 years I went were mediocre to awful. The other half were great to divine.

DSO are hitting 100 % for me. Same percentage for Cubensis.

My band is just average. We are after work players who don't want to get together with cards, whiskey, and cigars. The drummer and I are the Heads. I know the chords and he knows the words. We have some mighty high times playing. Our audiences love what we do even if they don't know the Dead. They appreciate great tunes played well.

When someone asked if we were a Dead tribute band I replied thusly,

" We don't cover Dead tunes. We uncover them and find the hidden jewels."

Everyone gets something different from a tune. A friend named his son Dylan after hearing the boys play" It's all over now Baby Blue." Grant is gone, but his Baby Blue lives on.

I took my friend Susie to see the Dead at Pauley Pavilion in '82. She disappeared to the front of the stage to dance and couldn't speak afterwards. She was a virgin no more.
 #121600  by Tennessee Jedi

Dwarf Rat wrote: When someone asked if we were a Dead tribute band I replied thusly,

" We don't cover Dead tunes. We uncover them and find the hidden jewels."
:hd:
Love it !
 #121609  by DenverEd

Troupes of patchouli drenched neo-hipsters convening in moldy garages, stoning themselves into smiley oblivion, noodling through limp-wristed takes on “Fire on the Mountain”, “The Other One”, “I Know You Rider,” etc."

The visual picture this sentence paints is what cracked me up. I am sure the author spent a little time crafting it. Except for the patchouli, it pretty much nails how our band stared. :lol: