When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #120633  by Smolder

easytoslip wrote:
tcsned wrote: It's the type of crystal used in typical guitar pickups.
didn't want to put entire quote here, but that's interesting, never knew that. What are the alternatives, possible to switch out for a better pickup? or just play up next to a mic? <--this option seems clumsy to me

I think that's the problem... there is no great way to amplify an acoustic guitar.
 #120634  by tcsned

There are a bunch of things, there are better piezo systems now for one thing. There are better preamps and tone shaping boxes that can help. There's other types of pickups like the Schertler pickups that I use which are miniature microphones thingies. And there's actual microphones. It's been a while since I've been in the market so there's probably a lot of other cool stuff out there.
 #120639  by Dwarf Rat

I use two guitars live with the band. I have a Laurent Brondel A-2, basically an OM, made from Wenge and Carpathian Spruce. It has the K&K Western Mini pickup, which consists of three separate elements that go under the bridge plate. It has great punch and volume, and it's resistance to feedback allow me to use the Small Clone Phasor and Mini QTron .
My other guitar is a Brazilian /Sitka Santa Cruz Dread cutaway with a Baggs Anthem. It sound like a microphone with a UST and a small mike. It will feedback with the QTron, but the rhythm player uses it, so he goes into a Baggs PADI and then the PA. I use the K&K preamp for control before the PA.

We play a mix of Dead, Hot Tuna, Ry Cooder, Bob Marley/Wailers and Taj Mahal/Radiators style blues.
 #120702  by easytoslip

I know Takamine and Martin make great acoustic guitars, anyone have a Gibson or Fender that they really like? what'd it cost ya? At some point I might want one with a big fat dreadnought body, but the ones I played today in my price range don't come close to my pretty little Ovation.
 #121530  by tigerstrat

Washburn has made some very nice acoustics (rugged too)! I wonder if Dylan gave him this one? It's a dead ringer for the one he played on '87 tour.

#121531  by tcsned

easytoslip wrote:I know Takamine and Martin make great acoustic guitars, anyone have a Gibson or Fender that they really like? what'd it cost ya? At some point I might want one with a big fat dreadnought body, but the ones I played today in my price range don't come close to my pretty little Ovation.
What's your price range? There are Gibons that are awesome but they're pricey. Not a big fan of Fender acoustics but I'm sure there are some that are fine. If you're looking for the best guitar you can get I'd look for a used one, probably without a pickup.

*edit* I have an Ovation Legend deep bowl and its a great guitar but I don't use it anymore now that I have the Taylor and Del'Arte. Not a traditional acoustic sound but a good one.
 #121544  by mgbills

I like the Taylors. They call their system the Expression system. The cheaper laminate guitars (110's, etc) have a cheaper version. Very nice on the professional models. They have an onboard preamp, so just plug it into your SMS.

I also have a Sunrise pickup in one of my acoustics which is nice. Requires a clean preamp. Haven't used it in a while, but lots of potentates do.