Chat about Equipment Info
 #120535  by bzbz

I played my first full gig with Adamas 2mm pick tonight - I always thought the threads about them were perhaps a bit "over the top" - after all, how much could a pick contribute to tone - OMG - I am converted - snap crackle and pop! I didn't even play with brand new strings - and played a simple Strat with 57/62 pickups, used a Peavy Classic 30 amp - wow!
 #120536  by JonnyBoy

YES the way to the force is not always so clear. Try using them for a while, then forget/loose your pick(s) and have to borrow some other pick for a gig or rehearsal. The dependence is staggering.
 #120560  by TI4-1009

"This is all that stands between me and abject poverty." -J. Garcia
 #120568  by lightningbolt

I have been using the Adamas 2MM for about a year now and I can't imagine going back to anything else. It not only gives the "snap, crackle and pop" but the thickness and lack of flexibility makes your picking technique evolve different dynamics to accommodate it. I find my technique has to utilize many more subtleties with the Adamas then a thinner/non graphite pick. In other words I think the unforgiving nature of the pick has made me a better guitarist. Anyone else find this?

They take some getting used too but switching to the Adamas' along with my switch to higher action has no doubt improved my sound and my playing.
 #120571  by ccw3432

I love them for the electric guitar. The first time I used one I couldn't believe the handicap I put on myself for years by playing with a thinner plastic pick. The strings do what I want them to since you don't have to account for the pick bend.
Great for dynamics and feel.

II've been using a dunlop yellow for acoustic for years. I've found on acoustic guitar the bass strings can sound dull with the Adamas. The first time I tried them with acoustic I didn't like the sound at all. I've been messing around with holding the pick much lighter and letting it be more forgiving for acoustic and I'm starting to get some jangley results that I like, especially with chord strumming.

The importance of a good pick is often underrated, I think because they are just inexpensive and not much to them. It really makes a big difference though. I may have to get in on the traveling pick thread and try some others.
 #120572  by TI4-1009

#120600  by mijknahs

Lately I've been using the "round" corner sometimes rather than the "pointy" side. I seem to get better harmonics and a different tone.
 #120765  by Mosfed

I am a bigger fan of the Telefunken .75mm graphite pick. No bend whatsoever and easier to use. 2mm is just too much for me. The difference btwn graphite and tortex on either acoustic or electric is just staggering
 #120777  by old man down

TI4-1009 wrote:"This is all that stands between me and abject poverty." -J. Garcia
May have or may have not known he said this, following him all these years, but I love it.

Going to search it out for myself.

Thanks!
 #121499  by Jon S.

I'm going to admit that I've become an Adamas apostate. I still dig them but prefer the V-Pick 1.5 mm Traditional. In fact, I did a blind (for the listeners) A-B test with my band on Sunday and it was unanimous - better Jerry tones with the V-Pick. Though this finding, of course, must be taken in the context of my full rig which overlaps with, but is not identical to, Jerry's. The bottom line remains, "Listen with your ears, not your expectations."
 #121506  by TI4-1009

HERESY!

Moderators, do your work...
 #121514  by TI4-1009

Nah, jus make im an oufa he can' refuse....... We don' need no freekin "apostates" roun heh.