#121247  by gr8fl4295

What's everyone's opinion with this setup?
Jerry tone? Bedroom level?
 #121275  by gr8fl4295

30 views and no response?
:lol:
 #121277  by wolftigerrosebud

Doesn't seem like that common a setup (Superchamp is still less than a year old, for one thing), which could account for the number of views and lack of responses. But, if someone's tried it, hopefully they'll see this.
 #121282  by lunasparks

I can't comment on this setup exactly, but my understanding is the X2 is 15 watts. I have a SuperChamp XD as well as a PRRI, both similar wattage ranges. I've used E120s with both of these amps but have settled for E110 in the XD and K110 in the PRRI. I think the E120 likes a little more power before it sounds best so the 110s seem to pair better with lower wattage amps IMO. That said, there was a moment a few years back where I had my PRRI running a E120 during a gig and everything was running hot, edge of tube breakup when I was hitting some chords that sounded just exactly perfect. But at bedroom levels I've tended to use 110s in my lower wattage amps. But if it's a JBL E/K it's gonna sound at least alright!
 #121296  by tigerstrat

wolftigerrosebud wrote:Doesn't seem like that common a setup (Superchamp is still less than a year old, for one thing), which could account for the number of views and lack of responses. But, if someone's tried it, hopefully they'll see this.
You mean the Super Champ X2, not the 31-year old Super Champ, but the point is valid: to the OP, I would feel pretty safe in saying that you are the FIRST to try this setup. So how do you like it?

I've played my original Super Champ through an E120 and my experience was very similar to Lunasparks'. At bedroom level, you don't need much, and an E120 is radical overkill, imho. I would stick with a 10" speaker, and not necessarily a high-efficiency one like a 110. Maybe an Eminence or Celestion...
 #121314  by cmc64

I have a SuperChamp X2 combo which I retubed with a Vintage NOS RCA 12AX7A and a matched pair of JJ 6V6S tubes. I then put in a JBL K-110 and for a bedroom Jerry amp it's doing a pretty good job. I don't really use DSP at all (with the exception of the reverb), so the channel 1 "Blackface Voiced" channel is what I use. When I rolled the tubes I was knocked out. And when I put in the JBL K-110 I was floored.

If you are going to spruce up that amp a bit roll some tubes and put a K-120 in the cab. You can get that sweet tone with a bit less power with the K than the E - check it out! And tubes, tubes, tubes! The stock Groove Tubes it comes with suck.
 #121327  by gr8fl4295

Thanks for the info on the tubes.
What are the main differences between the two types of JBL's, e110 & k110?
 #121330  by czyfingers

Another good speaker consideration is the well kept secret, JBL D123. Its a 12 inch speaker with a 3 inch voice coil like the 110's that's much lower wattage than the E's and K's and they sound quite nice at reasonable volumes. I picked one up and have it in my deluxe reverb, which is the amp I usually play at home. They're usually all over eBay and not terribly expensive. Sometimes I think that speaker in the deluxe sounds better than all my heavy duty stuff....K's, E's, twin, Mac, all the pedals. I play it with a guitar and cable and its Jerry all day long. I've used it mic'd with he band too.
Just another suggestion.
 #121458  by wolftigerrosebud

@tiger: I had noticed it on re-reading after I posted, didn't bother changing because I assumed it would be obvious I meant the particular Super Champ version that the post was about. But one can't assume anything (like that people are thinking), so thanks for the clarification.

I feel a little differently about the viability of JBL clones and similarly-voiced speakers, particularly for someone who may not have other Jerrytone-specific gear and who is shooting for such a sound. The JBL and the Commonwealth don't sound so different at low volumes (though even there it can be heard), and at higher volumes the differences become increasingly visible. The RWB emi just sounds really generic to me, but regardless, the only one I've heard that sounds like a JBL is a JBL. Might seem like a bit much now for a used old speaker, but you'll avoid having to buy 'em later after already having spent money on JBL clones.