#121147  by Winterland

Can anyone tell me why I should use anything more than a 100 watt amp ? I am running a SMS>MC2100>2x12 JBLe120. I need a back up amp in my rack. The MC2100 is really powerful and have not pushed it past a quarter. I am thinking on a rocktron velocity 100 but noticed everyone with a rocktron uses the 300 Watt. Any other back up suggestions would be appriciated.

On a side note we only play small bars maybe 100 or so people.
 #121154  by tcsned

Winterland wrote:Can anyone tell me why I should use anything more than a 100 watt amp ? I am running a SMS>MC2100>2x12 JBLe120. I need a back up amp in my rack. The MC2100 is really powerful and have not pushed it past a quarter. I am thinking on a rocktron velocity 100 but noticed everyone with a rocktron uses the 300 Watt. Any other back up suggestions would be appriciated.

On a side note we only play small bars maybe 100 or so people.
I don't see why you'd need the 300 especially as a backup. Having clean headroom would be the only reason to have 300w. I use a Mosvalve MV962 that's 80w per side for my backup and that's fine for most any situation. Not sure what those Rocktron's are going for but I got my MosValve for $125 and its a gig worthy amp.
 #121346  by Jon S.

Winterland wrote:Can anyone tell me why I should use anything more than a 100 watt amp ?
Two main reasons:

1. The 300's Reactance and Definition controls that the 100 lacks are incredibly useful for dialing in the best possible tones (for me, they "make" the amp). :hail:

2. Headroom: you may not need it immediately but some day you will. :P