#120424  by Jerry1996x

Anybody here try/own both? Differences? One have better Jerry tone? I love my Twin to death, but its heavy as..... a Twin :D
 #120426  by Smolder

I have two twins (just sold the third one) and bought an sms to pair with my mac (mc50). The new rig way out Jerry's the modd'd twins. Only had it a couple of days so figure in the honeymoon effect.
 #120429  by mijknahs

I have 2 Fender amps. One is a blackface Twin Reverb and one is a silverface Pro Reverb. I use them both as preamps and they both sound different. The blackface is more mellow and fatter in general. The silverface is brighter and cleaner. Both get a great tone depending what you're in the mood for.

I also have an SMS Classic. It is probably more like the silverface. I do prefer the Fender amps but the SMS is close and is so light plus can rackmount. You could always put your Twin in a head cabinet like a Dual Showman Reverb cabinet and it will be lighter than carrying the whole combo around.
 #120431  by lunasparks

Jerry1996x wrote:Anybody here try/own both? Differences? One have better Jerry tone?
Along these same lines, what is the difference (in components, I suppose) between a JG modded SMS and, say, a Twin modded per Waldo's site? Are we talking the same circuit & components or is there some difference? Waldo or Brad can comment, maybe?
 #120434  by mijknahs

lunasparks wrote:
Jerry1996x wrote:Anybody here try/own both? Differences? One have better Jerry tone?
Along these same lines, what is the difference (in components, I suppose) between a JG modded SMS and, say, a Twin modded per Waldo's site? Are we talking the same circuit & components or is there some difference? Waldo or Brad can comment, maybe?
The circuit and components are pretty much the same if you upgrade all the parts per Waldo's site. The biggest difference may be in the huge power transformer and power supply the Twin has plus the tube reverb which all contribute to the tone.
 #120437  by JonnyBoy

I didnt do ALL the reccomended Waldo Mods, but I did do the most important. I did the tone stack, plate resistors and some other caps that were reccomended. There was a difference in my TRRI as a preamp and my SMS in the end. I liked both and both worked fine as Jerry amps/preamps. The difference between them was the voicing, the TRRI bing a little more bright in my case as a preamp through a Mac.

It is like the SMS has been developed to have the right signal "value" to get the right noises out of a Mac. When I dig in I get a nice smoothing/clipping inherent to the Mac. It also has gobs of headroom and sounds great with pedals. Some find that SS amps are a little less "forgiving". It seems like a "sour note stands out more", kind thing. Less compression more cut and a specific voicing that only a Mac seems to give (which is very Jerry too). I have heard many players tones on here that sound awsome with different gear too, so to each his own.

I guess to sum it up, the SMS sounds best to me through my Mac and my twin sounds best through its own power section. Each set up works and has great tone. As with all guitar related opinions,,, YMMV, amps are so variable.