#120404  by Lephty

Pete B. wrote:
Lephty wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by this part of the solo chords | Am | E | G | D |.
I usually just play the Am walkdown ala the intro, only I hang twice as long on each half-step for the solo section
If you use slash chords (inversions) for the E and D this sequence you get: | Am | E/G# | G | D/F# | (I probably should have been more specific), which does give you a walk-down similar to the intro & chorus. But I'm pretty sure that the intro/chorus are just a walk-down over an Am chord (in fact Phil even pedals an A throughout), and in the solo section, it really sounds to me like the band (Phil in particular) are following these chords (not even necessarily using the inversions). At least that's what it sounds like in the version I'm using as a reference (5/19/74 Portland, for what it's worth).

Definitely a Dm in there too, after the first F, in this version...though it's worth noting that when you're soloing, you can pretty much treat these as one and the same.

Funny, this was never really a favorite tune of mine until I actually started playing it (and singing it...LOVE the lyrics).
 #120405  by Tennessee Jedi

Lephty wrote:

If you use slash chords (inversions) for the E and D this sequence you get: | Am | E/G# | G | D/F# | (I probably should have
Maybe single note'd but full chords .... not hearing it .... Maybe Phil like you suggest is playing a different chord tone .... ?
We are prob calling the same chords diff names i think .... I will try your way when i get home ....
Take it easy
-Tom
This how we amateurs do it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/94352276/halfstep.mp3
 #120406  by Pete B.

Here's what I would basically play for rhythm guitar behind the solo during the Am-walkdown part (4 beats on each chord).
I let the open-A on the 5th string ring throughout the walkdown on the 4th string, (I don't play the 6th string at all).

E|--5--
B|--5--
G|--5--
D|--7--
A|--0--
E|--X--

E|--5--
B|--5--
G|--5--
D|--6--
A|--0--
E|--X--

E|--5--
B|--5--
G|--5--
D|--5--
A|--0--
E|--X--

E|--5--
B|--5--
G|--5--
D|--4--
A|--0--
E|--X--

Can show us what those chords you use look like? | Am | E/G# | G | D/F# |
If you use this Tab Maker, select Record Chord on the left column, then just cut and past the chord this thread
http://www.guitartabcreator.com/
 #120410  by Lephty

Shit, now I'm listening to it again, and the rhythm guitar is pretty definitely just doing the walk-down as Pete B. describes. BUT it sounds to me like Uncle Phil is indeed playing the chords more like I listed them, and it also sounds to me like Jerry is following the changes Am-E (maybe Am/G#)-G-D. To my ears, the solo sounds more "right" if you follow them, as opposed to just doing Am over the whole sequence.

This is why it can be so damn hard to figure out their songs sometimes...checking other versions, I can't even find two that match (though Bob's part is pretty consistent).

For the record, here are those 4 chords as I would play them (or, at least, WOULD HAVE played them until I listened to this thing more closely...hate it when I figure out that I've been doing a song wrong my whole life):

E|--5--
B|--5--
G|--5--
D|--7--

E|--4--
B|--5--
G|--4--
D|--6--

E|--3--
B|--3--
G|--4--
D|--5--

E|--2--
B|--3--
G|--2--
D|--4--
 #120411  by Tennessee Jedi

Lephty wrote:
For the record, here are those 4 chords as I would play them (or, at least, WOULD HAVE played them until I listened to this thing more closely...hate it when I figure out that I've been doing a song wrong my whole life):
Hey man
Wrong ? If The Dead couldnt get their shit together how are we supposed to ?
:-)
Harmonically I'm thinking maybe you are on to something .... but in the solo .... with keys and bass .... chords might be too full ... others may play those notes as you have said .... just guessing though
:smile:
 #120416  by Pete B.

I have that same "been playin' it that way since high-school (mid/late 70's)" thing, on alot of stuff.
I'm always interested in what other folks are playing.
Thanks for posting your chords. I have not seen that particular interpretation.
I am playing around with them, and at 4-beats per chord, it sounds a bit like... Hotel California??? (or some other Eagles song?).

Now will some Bobby guy please come on and tell us how to plays these chords?
:cool: :lol:
 #123686  by lost sailor

Current Favorites:
Loser/Me & My Uncle/Mexicali Blues
Terrapin/Playin'
Lost Sailor/Saints>Bird Song

Any of those combinations, or variations to loosen up, then either keep playing or quit
I love Jerry and Bobby's styles but I am still banging my head into a wall trying to get
John Cipollina's sound down - Every time I play NFA I just wanna throw some of his sound
into it
 #123738  by Dozin

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Lephty wrote:
Hey man
Wrong ? If The Dead couldnt get their shit together how are we supposed to ?
:-)
Harmonically I'm thinking maybe you are on to something .... but in the solo .... with keys and bass .... chords might be too full ... others may play those notes as you have said .... just guessing though
:smile:
I play these chords but only the triads of it, not using the high E and you're plucking each note

E|----------
B|--------5--
G|-----5--
D|--7--

E|----
B|---------5--
G|-----5--
D|--6--

E|------------
B|--------5--
G|-----5--
D|--5--

E|---------------
B|---------5--
G|-----5--
D|--4--

Hopefully we're talking about the same thing
 #123773  by Dozin

Let It Grow
Eyes w/ full end jam
Bertha w/ all the bombs
Jack Straw
 #125479  by lost sailor

An update to my previous post, it is amazing what you can do with a couple of plastic finger/thumb picks -- i don't have an SG with a Bixby but I have a Carvin with a Wilkinson trem -- now I can get some of those Cipollina licks out there in NFA - I can quit banging
my head now -- It was always a treat to see Jerry and Cip on stage together.