#120155  by mijknahs

tigger wrote:I don't think there are any Princeton Reverbs out there for $125... Must be a later solid state Princeton.
For that price I would go for a new Mustang instead, pretty much the best bedroom amp out there.
Yeah, that couldn't be an all tube Princeton Reverb for that price. But if it is... get it!
 #120179  by Friesman

Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

More help please, I don't have an output jack on the Microbaby, other than speaker jack. I have input only.

Am I missing something?

Thanks so much
Sorry -I meant your speaker jack-
 #120185  by Stella Bloo

Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!
 #120187  by mijknahs

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

+1

I'm curious too!
 #120193  by Friesman

Sorry! I'm in the Halloween Biz and going nuts!!

Guitar cord direct from guitar into the front jack of sms and cord from back of sms into front of superbaby- make sure your tone knob on superbaby (microbaby) is turned counterclockwise and completely off until it clicks- This way you are using your microbaby as a power amp only. Check out tube recipe's section on curt's site to see what fender type tubes are compatible withe the microbaby. Other thing is since the microbaby is 1-2 watts you may have a tough time getting clean sounds..

TX
 #120196  by mijknahs

Friesman wrote:

Guitar cord direct from guitar into the front jack of sms and cord from back of sms into front of superbaby- make sure your tone knob on superbaby (microbaby) is turned counterclockwise and completely off until it clicks- This way you are using your microbaby as a power amp only. Check out tube recipe's section on curt's site to see what fender type tubes are compatible withe the microbaby. Other thing is since the microbaby is 1-2 watts you may have a tough time getting clean sounds..

TX
So turning the tone control "off' until it clicks shuts totally bypasses the preamp section? That's pretty cool.
 #120197  by Friesman

mijknahs wrote:
Friesman wrote:

TX
So turning the tone control "off' until it clicks shuts totally bypasses the preamp section? That's pretty cool.
Correct!
 #120259  by cmc64

mijknahs wrote:
tigger wrote:I don't think there are any Princeton Reverbs out there for $125... Must be a later solid state Princeton.
For that price I would go for a new Mustang instead, pretty much the best bedroom amp out there.
Yeah, that couldn't be an all tube Princeton Reverb for that price. But if it is... get it!
I haven't been to the shop in a while but not that I really think about it, yes it very well may be solid state.

If it is solid-state are there any opinions on it out there?
 #120260  by mijknahs

cmc64 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
I haven't been to the shop in a while but not that I really think about it, yes it very well may be solid state.

If it is solid-state are there any opinions on it out there?
Just play it. It still might be a decent bedroom amp. You never know. But you could probably get a better solid state bedroom amp for cheaper.
 #120311  by barefootdave

I picked up a Super Champ X2 recently for my office, right before I got the Fractal. I think it sounds outstanding for the price. I don't turn it on much since getting the AxeFX2, buts its a very nice amp with pretty decent effects. It sounds good at medium volume, but nowhere near as good as the Fractal does at ANY volume. But then again, it's about 1/8 the price.

I mostly run the fractal through an ancient Bose Wave Radio, sounds amazing every time. Gets a stellar tone whether whisper quiet or brain damage loud.
 #120329  by GeneralGoldilocks

i have a 87 red knob champ 12. great bedroom rig. i've seen solo guys gig with them, and i have taken it to band practice, but with a full kit, it is just a little bit too quiet, but it actually worked ok for practice, just didn't have any more headroom.

i think the roland micro cube would be great, too.

or.... an sms preamp with small studio monitors, or an alembic f2b with small studio monitors, or monitor. i have small studio monitors (almost computer speaker size) and have used a digitech valve fx preamp with them. the digitech valve fx had some god awful 90's digital effects on it, but some useful ones, although in general, it sounded like garbage and i would never recommend it. it just came with a skb case and power amp i was buying.
 #120335  by tigerstrat

I'm afraid I'm going to need to scrape up $200-300 to dump into my vintage Super Champ before I can even plunk around on it. At 30 years, the caps are in dangerous territory. I'd sure like to try some different 10" speakers in it too.
 #124216  by TI4-1009

Well, not exactly, more like "Jer-tone Practice Rig", or the Harvard he used to have. I just finished my BYOC Tweed Royal- switchable between Champ 5F1, Deluxe 5E3, and Princeton thrown in for good measure. Two Classic Tone OTs, I put a Weber VST P12Q in it. Shellaced the tweed. Great experience building your own amp- and having it work! At 6 watts SE and 12 PP it's still plenty loud!