name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #120067  by labassman

Yes my brother's guitar playing was very rough with no ability to do leads when we very started in 91.Our singer wanted to boot him when we first got together. His problem was (Jimmy Page) as his major influence. He know has developed into a very good and accomplished guitarist. I taught him most of his work quickly spending days without sleep on scale progressions and alt tuning scale progressions. He uses a different guitar for every song and I think only about 4 are in standard E tuning. His wicked and weird chimes he gets from curtain alt tunings is what gives us his unique sound that touches our fans magically.
I personally don't believe in alt tunings which you all most likely will agree. You can play any note and any augmented chord with standard E.
I will find a shot of Dean's guitar rack and post here. He literally uses around 8 to 10 different axes for each show. I sometimes strap a 12 string alvarez acoustic to my mic stand for a couple songs we sometimes don't use in our setlist. I can swing my bass off to the side and strum it.
Thanks for the complements. I am completely in shock over the quality of the Dead's technological advancements through the years. I feel totally out of my leaque here but am learning and some of the info I take make appear on out next album.
I'll keep ya posted.
Peace,
RD.
 #120069  by Tennessee Jedi

I love watching Dean switch up his les pauls !
Once at the Electric Factory before a show I heard you guys messing with Black Dog or Heartbreaker ... dont know if it was ever in your set list but I do love some Zep !
The drummer .... I love his style too .... got that rocking strut I like
The band is mega tight ... you can tell you guys have been at it for a long time
I didnt know you taught your bro guitar .... thats pretty cool .... he is a great player IMHO ... great job !
take it easy
:-)
 #121144  by labassman

Thanks for the comps guys. It was a rocky 20 years but all four of us are still here(luckily). See ya out on the road hopefully soon.
RD.