name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #119896  by labassman

Stumbled across this site searchin about different amps,mods,etc. I play in a rock band formed in LosAngeles and just got off the road from our 20th anniversary. Our singer's solo band guitarist was a huge garcia fan.
Rob
 #119903  by labassman

Thanks and very cool site you have. Very sweet setups.
ps. I use a very similar Vox for backstage warming up. My main bass is a Schecter model-T plus I have in my collection I have '50s Danelectro Long Horn baritone guitar, '66 Fender Precision, '70s Fender MusicMaster, '76 Rickenbacker 4001, G&L-2000, and an Orlando. I did some custom mods to another Schecter model-T adding a 5th string which was more for slappin technique.
My live rig consists of three 2x12 and three 4x10 Eden cabinets, an old Alembic F-1x preamp, and a QSC MX 1500 power amp.
Very informative site and amazing reads just in the 1 half hour of being here. Thinking of doing some work now next time I get back in touch with my old friends from Sunset Custom now that we have a short break until a mini set of shows are coming up.. I like the ability to be able to control different stacks,amps and pre's like Mr.Lesh has done in the past. I always heard of the dead and their gear. Especially the wall of sound must have been amazing just to pound 1 chord through it. My tone has been compared to the VOX beatles era sound.
Last edited by labassman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #119906  by labassman

Thanks again. It is true deadheads are very friendly and kind. I knew a huge gang of them being born in NewJersey and then playin and living out in LA having to schedule our tours around all the Grateful Dead concerts. Took me a while for my four piece band to figure out but it didn't take long. Our drummer Eric could hear them playing at his house just outside Mountain View, Ca.
Rob.
 #119913  by mijknahs

Welcome.

What is your band's name and where can we hear you play live?

Jim
Torrance, CA
 #119974  by labassman

My band's original name was "Mighty Joe Young" but we had a conflict in Chicago of an artist who was named that. We named our band after well known sticker growin up in the 60's that we used to put on our banana seat bicycles. Our drummer uses a FORD sticker on his bass drum and our lead singer alters his voice sometimes with a Speco Bullhorn. I don't want to stir up any trouble with your guys music which I myself personally love the whole overall quality of the grateful dead in full effect is the most harmonic sound and very amazing overall unlike anyone in the industry. I play in one of the last surviving bands from the grunge era.
I just don't want to cause any troubles with that can't stand the style of music in which we play in comparison to the dead which actually makes me embarrassed to be so in the dark about quality of sound and all the amazing things I've heard. Mostly 80's dead and some from the tour in europe in the early 90's.
The best and most likely only thing we have in common with the dead is we couldn't stand media and record companies and their evil ways. We have 3 lp's that went platinum starting from our first in 92. We lived in the back of a van drinking beer and sleeping with our gear. Our fans made us what we are today and won us several awards on MTV and AMA.
Peace,
RD.
 #119975  by mijknahs

labassman wrote:My band's original name was "Mighty Joe Young" but we had a conflict in Chicago of an artist who was named that. We named our band after well known sticker growin up in the 60's that we used to put on our banana seat bicycles. Our drummer uses a FORD sticker on his bass drum and our lead singer alters his voice sometimes with a Speco Bullhorn. I don't want to stir up any trouble with your guys music which I myself personally love the whole overall quality of the grateful dead in full effect is the most harmonic sound and very amazing overall unlike anyone in the industry. I play in one of the last surviving bands from the grunge era.
I just don't want to cause any troubles with that can't stand the style of music in which we play in comparison to the dead which actually makes me embarrassed to be so in the dark about quality of sound and all the amazing things I've heard. Mostly 80's dead and some from the tour in europe in the early 90's.
The best and most likely only thing we have in common with the dead is we couldn't stand media and record companies and their evil ways. We have 3 lp's that went platinum starting from our first in 92. We lived in the back of a van drinking beer and sleeping with our gear. Our fans made us what we are today and won us several awards on MTV and AMA.
Peace,
RD.
I'm honored to have you on the forums, Robert. I've never was a big fan of "grunge" (more of a fan of early punk) but I can respect it and respect your band - STP!
 #119980  by czyfingers

Welcome Rob! Very cool that to have you here and that you found us. I was never a huge grunge fan either, but I always enjoyed your band's music and still do to this day. My younger brother was a huge STP fan and he still plays your music. I know it's not what you came here to talk about and not dead or gear related, but my hats off to you for being in a band that "made it" and made some pretty damn cool music.
 #119984  by mijknahs

labassman wrote: My live rig consists of three 2x12 and three 4x10 Eden cabinets, an old Alembic F-1x preamp, and a QSC MX 1500 power amp.
Sounds like a good "Phil" rig.
 #120045  by Tennessee Jedi

:hail: :hail: :hail:
This is a honor !
Seen STP many times thru the years .... Love the tones Dean gets on his guitars ! His playing is so underrated .....
Such a great tight musical unit ..... I always watch the band intently .... we always look for you guys when you hit Philly.
Thanks for tuning in !
- Tom