Chat about Equipment Info
 #119781  by bzbz

If using a 2x12 without it being mic'd, wouldn't it be better for the purpose of sound dispersion to use the cabinet horizontally, raised off the floor a bit? I never see this done, thought I would ask....
 #119789  by zambiland

bzbz wrote:If using a 2x12 without it being mic'd, wouldn't it be better for the purpose of sound dispersion to use the cabinet horizontally, raised off the floor a bit? I never see this done, thought I would ask....
It's counterintuitive, but to improve horizontal dispersion while controlling vertical dispersion, you want the cabinet vertical. That's one of the reasons that line arrays (including the Wall of Sound) are arrayed the way they are. It reduces spill into the rafters.
 #119790  by bzbz

thank you! So, would amps, such as a twin reverb - sound best - on its side?
 #119791  by JonnyBoy

Not really. If you are looking for better sound dispersion your options are to add a cab and point it the direction you want more sound or mic into the mains. I would think on a small to medium sized gig (or basically a gig where you don't have to mic) turning your amp on its side versus having it tilted back on its legs is really no matter worth worrying about. Also, You being able to hear it well is most important IMO, because if others can't they'll tell you. If you are playing a show where people can't hear you no matter how loud you turn up, I think the best and easiest thing to do is mic your amp.

i also have found that some smaller shows can benefit from turning the guitar amps down, micing into the board and using a personal monitor to help hear your guitar. Especially if you have a sound guy at a board in the FOH and a difficult room to EQ. In that case dispersion is a function of your entire PA system, not just your guitar amp. I wouldn't risk my tube amp sitting on its side when it has legs to angle it upwards at me, but that's me. :smile:
 #120016  by bzbz

is there any dispersion advantage - or other sound advantage - to using a 2x12 vs/ a 4X12?
 #120036  by strumminsix

bzbz wrote:If using a 2x12 without it being mic'd, wouldn't it be better for the purpose of sound dispersion to use the cabinet horizontally, raised off the floor a bit? I never see this done, thought I would ask....
IMO, a 2x12 vertical is easier to hear than hoizontal.

Regarding dispersion:
Equal if on their backs
Equal if elevated over a few feet
Horizontal on the floor has 2 speakers bouncing off the floor and waves converging while horizontal only has 1.

That said, I think a 2x12 vertical a few feet off the ground works best for me
 #120049  by bzbz

forgive my ignorance (that's what it is) - if a 2x12, raised, disperses sound the same as a 4x12 - then what is the point of a 4x12?
 #120053  by tcsned

bzbz wrote:forgive my ignorance (that's what it is) - if a 2x12, raised, disperses sound the same as a 4x12 - then what is the point of a 4x12?
Chicks dig 4x12 cabs (.Y.)
 #120054  by ugly rumor

I think Edwin is right, that vertical array disperses better, but I think that that is more important for bass than for guitar. Low frequencies fill the space quickly, and collect in corners. High frequencies are more directional, andneed more attention to focus. Check the Meyer Sound Labs web page for excellent analysis of the behavior of sound waves.
 #120073  by JonnyBoy

Having more speakers can help you push more air, thus creating some more sound and volume but most use 4x12's because of the tone of the cabs or the sound you get from 4 speakers clipping or the compounding of certain frequencies a particular speaker may make ....Ie: I get more mids and a more distortion harmonics when I add more 25 watt s
Speakers with some increased headroom volume wise too.... There could be other reasons like, "that's what Slash used"...which is many times the answer for what I choose, since it's what Jerry used.

The answer and reason for why for a 4x12 can be from the farthest of bullshit to the most of practical.