When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #119950  by mgbills

Love me some Neil. Seeing him in Seattle in Nov.

Neil. Always keepin' it real.
Peace to All.
M
 #119952  by gr8fullfred

Well, uh, I ain't so sure bout neil's guitar skills.........................

I kinda like that Jerry guy.........................................

and a few others........................................

Maybe Neil and Bobby could play slide together.............................
 #119966  by tigerstrat

Neil keeping it reil!

Not too sure about NY's guitar skills? <face palm>
 #119967  by jkstraw

I heard this song for the first time Tuesday night and nearly fell off my chair. I'm in love with it at the moment - traces of vintage Neil Young, The Weight and FOTD - he could have written this tune almost 40 years ago along with some of his other classics (IMHO). The official vid has some nice (and well seen) clps of Jerry as well.
 #119990  by mgbills

There's some great Neil quotes about the guitar...I can't find them, and I'll have to paraphrase. Something about not playing scales...you've just got to know the right notes. And Bruce the Bass player only knowing 3 notes...but they're really good notes.

For me Neil is the archetype of intentionality. He has one mode, and it's 100% Neil. He's like the Honey Badger...he don't give a Shit (edited from fuck...thanks River Rat for straightening that out!). He's going to make music because that's what Neil does. He's not about sales numbers. And when he plays...he's on. He's there in that space until he's done. Got him his whizzer. Got him his '59 (?) Fender Deluxe. Got him Old Black, and Hank's Martin.

I love him. He's great to cover too. Get you're Deluxe Reverb out...Add some ED...flip up you're HB on your Tiger Strat, and WAIL on some minor pentatonics. What could be more fun.

Well playing like Jerry effortlessly might be more fun...but I'm not there...yet :-)
Peace
M
Last edited by mgbills on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #119995  by TI4-1009

We went up to Kingston two weeks ago to see Neil- first time I've seen him live. Always liked him, but I REALLY liked him live with Crazy Horse! I've been on a Neil binge since then. I was at first disapointed that he didn't play Cin Girl and Mr. Soul in Kingston, but the new songs didn't take long to grow on me- and he did play Cortez. New album out Oct. 31. Check out the videos of some of the new songs- Ramada Inn (GREAT song) and Walk Like a Giant.

Here's link to some of his gear stuff- Old Black and his tweeds:

http://thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm
 #120017  by Octal

jjbankhead wrote:What is this "radio" of which you speak? is it like an ipod?
I thought it was a city. I hear they have some sort of hall of music.

More importantly, who is this Jerry guy who was mentioned above?
 #120034  by RiverRat

mgbills wrote:He's like the Honey Badger...he don't give a fuck.

Honey Badger doesn't give a shit about Neil Schon's guitar playing skills!